What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Princeton Fuel Sending Probe Error

Status
Not open for further replies.

X21RV6A

Looking for assistance with a Princeton Fuel Sending Unit.
I ordered 2 custom bent Capacitive Probes from Aircraft Spruce for my RV6. I
received the probes directly from Princeton, installed them and calibrated
them at empty & then filled both tanks with fuel and calibrated for full (19
gallons each tank) I then drained both thanks and set the Dynon EMS
D10 to fuel sensor to type 2 (Capacitive) and then calibrated the D10
for each tank by starting with fill value, and then adding 2 gallons
each time until full. The issue I am having is that the sending units stop
changing the value at 10.1 gallons for the left tank and 12.2 gallons for the right tank. The left tank calibration
values look like this:
1 +109 0.00
2 +1960 2.00
3 +2576 4.00
4 +3016 6.00
5 +3381 8.00
6 +3564 10.00
7 +3580 10.11

After the 10th gallon the Dynon give me an error indicating that is did not detect a change and asked if fuel was added. It is similar for the
right tank. Why is the sending unit not responding after 10 gallons? The probes appear to be very accurate between 10 gallons and empty, but I don't like looking over at the Dynon and having it display information that I know to be inaccurate.

I have tried calling Princeton several times and continue to get their voice mail. I have also sent them emails, with no response. They don't have a web site so struggling to get answers.

Any assistance greatly appreciated.

Assuming you have a single probe mounted on the inboard end of the tank, the inboard end of the tank may actually be full. This is the same phenomena experienced by folks using the standard van's float gauges due to wing dihedral, they generally won't go any higher than about 13 gal.

Last edited:
You are using the worng setting in the Dynon

Even though your probes are capacitive, you need to set the Dynon for resistive senders. The reason is the Princeton outputs voltage, not capacitance. That is why you had to calibrate the sender itself. I have the Princeton probes in a plane with a Skyview system and can confirm this is the answer they will give you when you get in touch with them. Once set for resistive senders, perform the Dynon part of the calibration again and you will have no troubles. The tank may top out at 16-17 gallons due to the entire probe being submerged at that point as has been mentioned.

Dynon Setup indicates Sensor 2

Took a look again at the Dynon EMS D10 setup manual and it indicates that sensor type 2 is Capacitive sender (Voltage Output) Image from manual attached.
image_zpsegiw8mu8.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

I did give your suggestion a try and switched my sensor over to type 1 (Resistive) and started recalibrating the Dynon, but value did not change with the first 2 gallons, nor did it change with gallons 4 through 6 so I stopped and drained it. I was hopeful that my fix could have been this easy, but does appear that I may only be able to read last 10 gallons. This was not mentioned when I was ordering the custom bent probes, and not in the Princeton installation/calibration instructions. As a point of reference, I have been flying the original VAN's float type senders and until the last few months they have been pretty accurate from full all the way down to last 3 gallons. The reason I am "Upgrading" to the Princeton probes is because the float senders started sticking in the mid range. I wish that I had just replaced them with another set of the float type as think I would have been much happier.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back