What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Flying to the Daytona 500 Feb 18

WA85

Well Known Member
I am thinking of flying my RV-8 from M38 (N AL) down to the Daytona area to watch the race on 18 Feb.

I am looking for any suggestions for which airport I should fly into and possible lodging / rental cars.

Depending on the weather, I plan to fly down on Saturday, watch the race on Sunday, fly back on Monday.

Be sure to check the NOTAMS, as I have not.
KDAB is adjacent to the track & would be easy access.
I flew in several years ago to attend the SuperCross.

A client of ours was a multi-car sponsor for a while so for about four years straight I went to Daytona for the both the Cup and the Busch races (that will give you an idea of how far back its was).
Traffic in Daytona on Saturday was busy but not a zoo.
Sunday was an entirely different story. You had to have a slot reservation. The Feds used to publish a NOTAM for the Sunday race not unlike OSH or the Superbowl. I just looked at the traffic management page but didn't see anything listed upcoming for DAB. Maybe things have settled down a little.

I am thinking of flying my RV-8 from M38 (N AL) down to the Daytona area to watch the race on 18 Feb.

I am looking for any suggestions for which airport I should fly into and possible lodging / rental cars.

Depending on the weather, I plan to fly down on Saturday, watch the race on Sunday, fly back on Monday.

We are about a 1.5-2hr drive from Daytona. If you fly into X35 I?ll put you in the hangar and lend you my car for the weekend. If you can?t find a closer hotel, you can stay in the RV Hotel here.

Jesse,

Thank You for your great offer! Flying into X35 and driving over to Daytona sounds like a great idea.

As the time gets closer, I will send you a note and confirm my plans.

When Sam was talking about traffic I thought he was talking road traffic.
That is a zoo and adds an hour to drive time if you are lucky. That includes coming and going.
I have not flown in as we are in driving distance and it has been many years.
If Jesse's very kind invitation doesn't work out I would consider KEVB New Smyrna. Great little airport south of KDAB and Airgate Aviation has Hertz rental cars. I am sure that anything closer than fifty miles will require a reservation. I believe KDAB sets up a very nice tent and shuttles to the track but they tend to cater to much larger (read more expensive) than our RV's.
Enjoy the race and the weather.

I flew the RV into KDAB for the race two years ago VFR. It was easy peasy. Used flight following in and out. I'm sure there's a notam out there with the procedures but I can't put my fingers on it right now.

Jesse,

Thank You for your great offer! Flying into X35 and driving over to Daytona sounds like a great idea.

As the time gets closer, I will send you a note and confirm my plans.

I have a son at Embry Riddle University right next to the speedway. Last year when I dropped him off at school I drove over to Jesse's shop to check out an engine he was selling. I really enjoyed the drive over to Jesse's. It was through some beautiful central Florida countryside!!

Back