What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Replacement HID bulb for PLanelights 50W Landing Lights

Flying again!

Well Known Member
Hi,

I have HID landing lights that I am happy with. However, one of the bulbs will not start (confirmed by changing power supply and swapping sides).

Planelights is out of business and Rigid Industries who bought them out have not been any help. Where can I get the replacement bulb? It looks like the bulb comes with the reflector and leads with connectors.

Thanks -- TJ

Spend a few minutes googling "MR16 HID BULB" and you will see the bulb with the leads.

I am in your shoes too and will be searching when one of my Rigids goes off.

I have a mate here building an RV8 and the Plane lights / Rigid system is perfect for a taxi and landing combo in tip.....

So does anyone know where you can buy a ballast and lamps from as per the old plane lights rigid and then duckworks kits?

David,
I have the Rigid 50W system. The light is fantastic, both from a pilots point of view and others that are looking at/for my bird.

However, they do break the squelch on my radios due to broadcast noise (not wiring). I covered the starter box (a cube in the wire between the ballast and bulb) with a grounded aluminum foil wrap and that helped. It took the lights from useless to useful most of the time ( meaning after they start, the static level goes down below squelch level and is not terrible when listening to a broadcast).

At the annual that is now in progress, I plan check the noise sources again with a handheld aviation radio since that it what led me to the starters last year. I expect the next source to be the bulb itself. I plan to build a grounded cage around that with some copper screen that I have in the bin.

Good luck. The light is so good that I don't plan to give up on these.

Last week I had them on for collision avoidance when approaching an airport. My friends on the ground said they could see me for many miles and "I looked like an airliner". :)

I wanted something that would burn the paint off a Volvo at 50 paces. :D

I did a quick internet search for "hid ballast" and found many listings such as:
http://www.protuninglab.com/xehidhiindic1.html?utm_source=googlepepla&utm_medium=adwords&id=18283950120&utm_content=pla

That is the style of ballast that I have (in regards to wire terminations)

I am pretty sure I have the 35w unit in each wing tip, and they are awesome. No radio noise at all for me.

I just want parts and maybe new bits for my mate.

I bought my set from plane lights.......sad to see them go as I think.....cant prove, but think they actually are better than the LED's around now. Could be wrong, but doubt it.

50W HIB bulb replacement

This weekend my Planelights/Rigid 50W HID bulb cease to work, as with TJ its the bulb.
Has anyone had any success finding a replacement bulb anywhere. I searched but hard to find with the harness.
thx

I have these too. all working ok at this point, but bummed to hear so much trouble finding bulbs. Any luck anyone?

I have 2 sets of the HID I got from Duckworks, low hours and working fine when removed (installed LED's).
Phillips Xendrive XLD912 and Philiips bulbs C412 (don't know if they are 35 or 50).
Make me an offer.

I appreciate that and have looked into that option, but I have been really happy with my HID system and had hoped to keep it going with replacement bulbs. My local tower had said that they always know it?s me coming even in daylight.

But they will know you better with THE WORKS :D:D

Seriously I have been looking like you for a few years in preparation for the day.......never found anything worthwhile until now.

Back