What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Firewall Cables

cdeerinck

Well Known Member
I woke up today to a builder's nightmare. When looking at DWG 21 yesterday, I noticed something subconsciously, and overnight my brain figured out something was not right. I went to the garage and confirmed my fears. :eek:

Here is the section from Drawing 21, looking from the inside toward the front. Overlayed in red, is what I have done. The cables are CT Q-55 for the governor, and a CT Q-60 for the throttle, stock sizes from Vans based on an RV-8 and an IO-360 with a rear governor. No mix cable, since it is fuel injected.

vgjtf.jpg

The two right pass-throughs are already drilled installed and finished and are the Stainless Steel swivel type. https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/appages/eyeballfw2.php

I get the feeling that the throttle cable will work as is, but that the governor cable might have problems with the length, being 3" closer to the centerline.

Before I close up the front of the fuselage and make working here 10x harder, here are my questions:

1) Will I be able to make this arrangement work with these lengths of cables?
2) If no to #1, would swapping the two work? That way the throttle is correct and the governor is only off by 1 1/2".
3) If no to #1 and #2, and I do need to move them, what is the best way to fill the extra hole that I will have?

You should be able to make this work. As I recall, all the cables are the same OD.

What kind of fuel injection are you going to run with no mixture control?

My thoughts.

Governor cable is furthest to the left to facilitate the cable having to make a 90 degree right turn to the rear mounted governor.

Have you done a run with the cables to mock it up. Would think having the governor cable in the middle hole would be ok. The only way to know for sure is to mock it up.

If you need to or just feel uncomfortable about it. Pretty easy to plug the far right hole with a silicone(high temperature)plug or stainless snap in plug sealed with high temp sealer. Then just drill the left hole for the governor.

Last edited:
flyinga -- The issue isn't the OD, it is the bend the governor cable needs to make. The fuel injection is Fly EFII's System 32.

Ted RV8 -- How do I mock it up? The engine is in its crate, and the engine mount is not yet on either. I don't know how to figure out exactly where the governor arm will be located. I was hoping that someone that has already done theirs would comment on if the curve could take up the extra length or not. If I wait until my engine is hung, the fuselage will already be closed up.

Hi Chuck, what I meant is if the holes/cables are the same size you you can run them through either hole.

Looked at my build photos and can?t give you a perfect answer.

If you put the throttle cable in the far right hole it should be fine as that?s the way the Van?s drawing calls it out.

That makes the governor cable be only 1-1/2? off and thinking it will be fine.

I wouldn?t lose sleep over it.

Ted - I flipped the two cables. Given that I used swivel pass-thru's, I agree with you that it shouldn't be a problem. It seems to have quite a bit of freedom of movement. Thanks for your help.

I used a shorter gov cable, maybe 48", fit much better.

If you wait on the top skin of the fuselage, and go ahead and hang the engine it is much easier to get these cables right in my opinion. Still very easy to work on.

Back