What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Airworthiness Cert Holders

Ironflight

VAF Moderator / Line Boy
Mentor
I?m about to have a new airplane inspected, and this will be the first one with the new printed out Airworthiness certificate (on full sized paper) as part of printing the Ops Lims. It seems like these would seriously stretch the capacity of the traiditional A/W holders we?ve used for generations, so I am curious what others that have the printouts are using to put these ?on display?.

Paul

I went to staples and got a clear plastic envelope for $1. Just about the same size as a standard letter sized envelope but can expand a bit which is good cause he printed my ops limits on cover stock and, once folded, it makes for a pretty thick bundle. Has a little zipper at the top for opening and closing. Couple stick on Velcro strips later and it works perfectly.

I went to staples and got a clear plastic envelope for $1. Just about the same size as a standard letter sized envelope but can expand a bit which is good cause he printed my ops limits on cover stock and, once folded, it makes for a pretty thick bundle. Has a little zipper at the top for opening and closing. Couple stick on Velcro strips later and it works perfectly.

same here, except letter style evnelope size. all critical docs, incl registration & op limits, go in that envelope and then in the tool bag behind the seat. I didn't know there was a requirement to display it, only to have it in the aircraft. Not many places in the 6 where a passenger could actually see it anyways. I suppose I would think differently if anyone other than me flew it.

Larry

Last edited:
same here, except letter style evnelope size. all critical docs, incl registration & op limits, go in that envelope and then in the tool bag behind the seat. I didn't know there was a requirement to display it, only to have it in the aircraft. Not many places in the 6 where a passenger could actually see it anyways. I suppose I would think differently if anyone other than me flew it.

Larry

That envelope sound like the ticket - but sorry Larry - the Airworthiness Certificate must be displayed at the ?entrance to the airplane? - its in the regs:

FAR 91.203(b) states "No person may operate a civil aircraft unless the airworthiness certificate required by paragraph (a) of this section or a special flight authorization issued under ? 91.715 is displayed at the cabin or cockpit entrance so that it is legible to passengers or crew."

Paul

I have been able to put the new style documents in the traditional sized holder since we began getting our renewals in that format a little over a year ago.

The major factor in whether this becomes a fight or not is what paper they get printed on. Initially our FSDO would only print them on heavy card stock (similar to the thickness of the original 8130-7's). This makes it challenging when the doc is 3 pages and you need to fold it a number of times to make it fit.
More recently they have been putting them on plain paper which I have no problem folding and fitting into the legacy holder.
They are now able to print the official FAA seal in color. I think someone told me they were allowed to print on plain paper because the color makes it look like a more official document.
The important detail is don't cut them down to make them fit. You must leave them complete, but you can fold them so that the C or A portion can be displayed on the front of the document holder.

I have been able to put the new style documents in the traditional sized holder since we began getting our renewals in that format a little over a year ago.

The major factor in whether this becomes a fight or not is what paper they get printed on. Initially our FSDO would only print them on heavy card stock (similar to the thickness of the original 8130-7's). This makes it challenging when the doc is 3 pages and you need to fold it a number of times to make it fit.
More recently they have been putting them on plain paper which I have no problem folding and fitting into the legacy holder.
They are now able to print the official FAA seal in color. I think someone told me they were allowed to print on plain paper because the color makes it look like a more official document.
The important detail is don't cut them down to make them fit. You must leave them complete, but you can fold them so that the C or A portion can be displayed on the front of the document holder.

Another question: Is it acceptable to the FAA to have a photocopy in the airplane instead of the original? The old 8130-7 could not be copied or laminated but it was acceptable to have photocopy of the Operating Limitations.

Now that the two documents are one, does that still apply?

One easy solution

I use one of those plastic document holders that auto repair shops use to hold paperwork. It has a grommet at the top, and I just zip tied it to a spot near the "entrance" to the RV-9A. :)

I?m about to have a new airplane inspected, and this will be the first one with the new printed out Airworthiness certificate (on full sized paper) as part of printing the Ops Lims. It seems like these would seriously stretch the capacity of the traiditional A/W holders we?ve used for generations, so I am curious what others that have the printouts are using to put these ?on display?.

Paul

FAR 91.203(b) states "No person may operate a civil aircraft unless the airworthiness certificate required by paragraph (a) of this section or a special flight authorization issued under § 91.715 is displayed at the cabin or cockpit entrance so that it is legible to passengers or crew."

I can't imagine trying to mount an 8.5x11 holder anywhere in any small aircraft, let alone an RV. If it were me, I would just fold it up with some of the print in view (to make it "legible") and put it in my existing ~5x7 window holder. I would take my chances on getting an unreasonable ramp check official who insisted it had to be displayed in its full 8.5x11 format. Life's too short to worry about unreasonable government officials, if there are any of those ;).

My document holder is velcro'd to the fuselage side just to the left of the pilot's knee and slightly under the panel--out of the way and out of normal line of sight, but still clearly visible to anyone getting in the aircraft.

Last edited:
Another question: Is it acceptable to the FAA to have a photocopy in the airplane instead of the original? The old 8130-7 could not be copied or laminated but it was acceptable to have photocopy of the Operating Limitations.

Now that the two documents are one, does that still apply?

From my understanding, the FAA considers it to be the one and only legal copy of the official document and that it is what must be displayed in the aircraft.
No different than the original 8130-7 except that the 8130-7 portion is printed on the top of the first page of the operating limitations.

That envelope sound like the ticket - but sorry Larry - the Airworthiness Certificate must be displayed at the ?entrance to the airplane? - its in the regs:

FAR 91.203(b) states "No person may operate a civil aircraft unless the airworthiness certificate required by paragraph (a) of this section or a special flight authorization issued under ? 91.715 is displayed at the cabin or cockpit entrance so that it is legible to passengers or crew."

Paul

Thanks. I guess one of those holders is in my future.

Larry

I can't imagine trying to mount an 8.5x11 holder anywhere in any small aircraft, let alone an RV. If it were me, I would just fold it up with some of the print in view (to make it "legible") and put it in my existing ~5x7 window holder. I would take my chances on getting an unreasonable ramp check official who insisted it had to be displayed in its full 8.5x11 format. Life's too short to worry about unreasonable government officials, if there are any of those ;).

My document holder is velcro'd to the fuselage side just to the left of the pilot's knee and slightly under the panel--out of the way and out of normal line of sight, but still clearly visible to anyone getting in the aircraft.

The full 8.5 X 11 doesn't have to be displayed. The airworthiness certificate portion, which is printed on the top portion of the first page of the operating limitations, in the exact same size as the original pink 8130-7 certificate was.

The document can be folded as desired so that this portion of the front page (slightly more than the top third) can be displayed in the document holder.

The problem I?m seeing is ?fading?. With the printed document in a clear pouch and ?in view? it is also in the sunlight.

Are others noticing fading?

Back