What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Sunshade for RV-8

David-aviator

Well Known Member
I am about to pull the trigger on a Koger Sunshade but before doing so, are there any other good options?

Looks stick on sheets won't really do the trick for convenience once strapped in.

Good morning David, thanks for coming to the EAA meeting yesterday. You should have stayed for the trustee meeting. Let me know what you decide to do on the sun shade. I am also interested in one for the RV6 if I can convince Frank. Do you know how it is attached to the 8?

Good morning David, thanks for coming to the EAA meeting yesterday. You should have stayed for the trustee meeting. Let me know what you decide to do on the sun shade. I am also interested in one for the RV6 if I can convince Frank. Do you know how it is attached to the 8?

Hi Mike,

It is attached with double stick tape. Will let you know what I decide. The system is $250 so probably good quality. Koger is about the only option out there as far as I can determine.

Sure was hot flying yesterday, 89F at 2000' about 95 on take off. But the 8 did well out Troy, max CHT was 380 and OT hit 180 so cooling is working OK.

The sun shade is really needed on days like that. The flight deck was mighty warm sitting there in sun.

I tried various solutions including the sunshade film that you stick on the inside of the canopy. What I eventually found to be best is the combination of this:

http://www.quiettechnologies.com/index.php?route=product/category&path=66_59

And this:

https://www.rei.com/product/829865/rei-explorer-hat-mens?cm_mmc=cse_PLA_GOOG-_-8298650002&CAWELAID=120217890000831037&CAGPSPN=pla&CAAGID=30320805880&CATCI=pla-70430772640&lsft=&gclid=CJ2PyfO9680CFYIBaQodj14DLg

The hat is remarkably effective if worn "strategically dipped below one eye" (apologies to Carly Simon).

I am about to pull the trigger on a Koger Sunshade but before doing so, are there any other good options?

Looks stick on sheets won't really do the trick for convenience once strapped in.

David, when I purchased my -8 the first thing I bought was the Koger Sunshade. The first quarter length of the shade retracts. It is well made and I think attractive. I also have a Halo headset and sometimes wear a wide brim hat.

David, I have the Koger and have some mixed feelings about it.

Unless the sun is high in the sky, it doesn't help a lot to shield your eyes from it.

It helps quite a lot to keep the cockpit cool in the summer, when by the way, the sun is high in the sky. In the winter, at my latitude, I need all the help with heat that I can get, so the shade remains folded.

While the unit is well made and looks really good for what it is, I don't particularly like the looks of the think hanging on the top of a beautiful crystal clear canopy, which looks awesome all by itself. Kind of like trash lying in a park.

Like others here, I use an in ear headset with my Tilley wide brimmed hat and that works pretty well.

All in all, I often think about removing it. Right about then, it will come in handy, and I don't......

Koger Sunshade

I have it in my RV8. It works well for the most part, only complaint I have is the double sided tape. I need to take it off for the second time to replace all of it as some parts don't stick. But other than that it works wonderfully. Fully protects front and back.

David,

Don't let the others deter you. The shade works very well! I have been using it for the last 5 years. The tape has never let go, and it is exteremly well made.
We have a couple of the things that fold up in a circle that stick with 2 suction cups for the low angle sun. It's a great value at $275!

We have one on the -8 and it works well, when the sun is close to overhead...

It would work better for more sun angles without blocking vision if it were about 2 inches wider on each side.

Easy sunshade option

I cut a pattern on poster board to cover the desired area . I had FOIL covered plastic bubble insulation left over fom a house project. It is very compliant to the canopy curvature and you get it at home improvement stores.
If tape is OK for you, use it. I used clear plastic suction cups from Hobby Lobby to constrain the edges of the foil about six places on the perimeter. It works very well and when it gets cold just take it off for solar heating.

Thanks for all the quick replies.
Lots of good information here.
Will do something about his soon, sun is no good for young looking skin. :)

Back