What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Will the garage work for now?

jcedvm

I'm New Here
Thanks to all who have responded to my previous thread. Such a warm welcome is very refreshing.

My empennage kit is due here on the 7th! Very excited.

My question this time around is; would it be ok or unwise to begin assembly in my garage? I do have a hangar but I have so many more tools, air compressor, bench grinder, etc in my garage and nothing in my hangar. Because I've never assembled a kit I have no idea if transporting a partial plane to the hangar at a later date is easily doable or not.

If it is unwise I will simply start in the hangar. Just thought I'd get everyone's two cents!

Thanks all! And thank you for such a wonderful forum!

I have started in my garage.

I have 3 bays - 1 open for the construction. another to open soon as my friend picks up the project car I have sold him.

It'd be nice to be in a hangar, but that would significantly reduce amount of time i can spend on the build.

I'm planning on delaying the transport as much as possible. At least through wing construction. Two bays should be enough for that.

Edit: I'm at the start of my build, so multiply importance of my opinion by .02 :)

Multiple posts in here of guys taking their planes from their garages to the airport on trailers, when far enough along.:eek: You'll get it done a lot faster if you can work at home vs running to the airport every time.

6 years in the garage 6 months at the hangar...

Many people build all the major components in the garage and take it to the hangar for final assembly. I spent 6 years in the garage and then the final 6 months at the hangar. In the garage: empennage, wings, fuselage, engine, instrument panel, etc.

Michael-

Im building everything in my garage because I cant afford a hanger, and I can build anytime i get a chance. Its a little tight but motivation over comes slight discomfort.

Garage is the place

Unless you live in a air park with a hangar on your property, do as much as you possibly can in the garage before going to the airport. I brought mine back from my hangar because I realized you can get so much more completed at home.
Even though it's a short trip to my hangar,having my project in the garage allows me to work longer, check out little items when I see info on this forum and the most important thing, keeping the wife happy. It's amazing how well things go when she's happy.:D

Certainly work at home if you can. My 7 is in Lee Logan's hangar at 3
J1, and even being a mile away, its tough to break away and go work on it. But---going to work on that issue.
You can do alot of sub assemblies that make the process easier, in a small area.
Tom

Have to agree 100% with the comments above. There are times where I have a free 30 minute window here and there and can just go downstairs to work on the plane. If I had to drive somewhere, a lot less would get done.

I will keep the build going at home in my garage for as long as I possibly can.

Definitely, without a doubt, stay in the garage until you're ready to move to the hangar for final assembly.

I Plan to have everything done at home, even did the first engine start in driveway.

No problem

I'm building as long as possible in the garage. I even had the wings on several times.
Hangar is 45 minutes away.
There's one builder on here building in a storage container.

Garage

Started in the basement with outside access. Finished fuselage in garage. Final assembly at hangar.

Jim Diehl
7A-71976
Lock Haven, Pa

I agree stay in the garage. I have to travel 45 minutes to my hangar to get any work done. The only advantage of being at the hangar is that when I have a question or need a skilled hand there is usually someone around to help. I am fortunate our airport is very active with home builts and and home builders!

Since my garage has no windows, I bought a $100 walk-in garage door to replace the existing one. I cut a hole in it, added some bracing, and installed a window air conditioner to keep the garage comfortable during the summer. +1 for planning on staying at home as long as possible. Besides, the waiting list for a hangar here has me at #18, sigh.

It show is hot.

I cut a hole in it, added some bracing, and installed a window air conditioner to keep the garage comfortable during the summer. .

I'm with you there. Since moving my project to North Carolina I got a whole new definition of "HOT".:eek: I'm in the process of installing a mini split heat pump in my garage so I can continue my build in comfort. :D:D:D:D

Garage and basement

As I started in the winter with an unheated garage. I did all the "dirty" work (cutting, drilling) in the garage but did the assembly/riveting in my finished basement. I had a nice couch to sit at too in front of the tv. Comes in handy for when you have to debur all those holes. (use a drop sheet on the carpet):p

Once I had permanent heat put in, then I moved completely to the garage and plan to be there for a few years

Back