VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 05-30-2009, 02:40 PM

Default Rqd. long cross country today

Tanya is out doing her required "long" cross country flight this afternoon for her instrument training. She is on an IFR flight plan Georgetown - Waco - Glen Rose vor - Brownwood - Georgetown, nonstop. Currently setting up an ILS approach in Waco. If you're behind a computer this afternoon, or have it nearby while drilling holes you can track along:
http://aprs.fi/?call=n4822c&mt=m&z=11&timerange=3600
RV8 Building - fuselage / showplanes canopy (Done!)
Old 05-30-2009, 02:51 PM

Default Following along...

Thanks Scott....I have this on in the background while I'm studying. Welcome distraction.
Old 05-30-2009, 03:19 PM
Your host.

Go Tayna!!!
Old 05-30-2009, 03:24 PM

cool tracking
(This post by: Christopher Checca EAA Lifetime Member #799388)

Allen Checca (father)
Christopher Checca (son)

RV-6A - N468AC
ENGINE: Lycoming 180 HP O-360-A1A
PROPELLER: Senisentch 72FM859-1-85
WEIGHT: Empty Aircraft 1152 lbs
BASED: KC09 - Morris, IL.
Flying since June 6, 2005
N468AC Web Site
Old 05-30-2009, 04:07 PM

Default I want an APRS

Scott - this is cool. I showed it to my wife and now we are going to have an APRS in our 9A. I already have an (inactive) ham license, so I'll have to figure out which unit to buy. Which one do you have?

BTW - I super jealous of Tanya getting IFR trained. I'm about to start in the Skipper and am looking forward to it. I did my first practice ILS last night.

dave
Dave Gribble VAF #232
Building RV-9A N149DG (slider, IO-320, IFR)
Restored and Flying Beech Super III N3698Q
Marion IA

Restarting the project after too many years off

There is no sport equal to that which aviators enjoy while being carried through the air on great white wings." Wilbur Wright, 1905
Old 05-30-2009, 04:13 PM

Default Figure 8's?

She seems to be doing series of figure 8's just north of Brownwood. I'm assuming this is a requirement? Forgive the stupid question but why?
Old 05-30-2009, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IowaRV9Dreamer View Post
Scott - this is cool. I showed it to my wife and now we are going to have an APRS in our 9A. I already have an (inactive) ham license, so I'll have to figure out which unit to buy. Which one do you have?

BTW - I super jealous of Tanya getting IFR trained. I'm about to start in the Skipper and am looking forward to it. I did my first practice ILS last night.

dave
It is cool isn't it. I would be bonkers having to stay at home while my airplane (oh yeah, Tanya too) was out having a ball. We have a MicroTrak 8000. Looks like Tanya is having so much fun that she had to stay and play with the Brownwood VOR for a while. Now we just need that APRS email thingy so I could send a text to a panel readout that says: "ok, enough fun. point toward home, I'm getting hungry ."
Old 05-30-2009, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charger81 View Post
She seems to be doing series of figure 8's just north of Brownwood. I'm assuming this is a requirement? Forgive the stupid question but why?
From my chair, doing 0 knots, it looks like Fort Worth Center gave her a vector to join the VOR/DME Runway 35 approach, then she did a missed direct to the VOR and a procedure turn to start a VOR Runway 17 approach (not to minimums), then another missed, etc. That particular VOR is kind of known to be her arch nemesis as she fought it hard one day. It is a critical part of the practical exam done at Brownwood, so it looks like she was just beating it into submission to be sure all would be well in a couple of weeks when she goes back there to take the exam.
Old 05-30-2009, 04:46 PM

161 mph at 7200' north of Lampasas....what kind of fuel burn do you think she's getting?

Also Scott....I can't remember if you've commented on the whole 160 hp or greater argument. If you all have the 160hp, do you ever look back and wish you had more hp?
Old 05-30-2009, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charger81 View Post
161 mph at 7200' north of Lampasas....what kind of fuel burn do you think she's getting?

Also Scott....I can't remember if you've commented on the whole 160 hp or greater argument. If you all have the 160hp, do you ever look back and wish you had more hp?
Tanya isn't quite as aggressive as I am with the red knob sometimes. She aims for easy and good enough so she is doing about 7.3gph there.
Yes, it is 160hp. I don't think I have commented on that question in public. I don't wish I had done anything different except fuel injection, however I had my reasons for a carb at the time as well.