What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Electric aileron Trim

n174sw

I am building an RV-7A and have decided to put in the electric trim for the aileron. I bought from Van's the kit that puts the servo in the aileron and
controls a tab off the back of the left aileron. The drawing that came with
the kit is hard to read and lacks some details. Does anyone have photos of there project or maybe a source of more detailed info?
Thanks,
Steve.

Interesting, the aileron trim option for the 7/7A is not the tab version that was sold for the 6/6A.

Are you sure you have the right kit?

Vans Link for Aileron Trim

You are not restricted to the spring system and the aileron trim has been done by other RV 7 and 8 builders. I have talked with builders who did the spring bias system and they did not like the feel it created with the stick.
I have already put in the trim for the elevator and will use a hat switch to control both. I know it will work fine. It's just that the instructions are not very detailed on how to trim some of the parts.

You are not restricted to the spring system and the aileron trim has been done by other RV 7 and 8 builders.

Agreed as I have flown a 6 that has the 7 spring bias setup in it. Just wondered if you had inadvertently ordered the wrong kit. Appears not.

I "think" the trim kit was an after thought so that may explain the lack of direction/clarity/Clear Plans. Good luck. I am sure someone will pipe up and help you out.

I prefer the aileron servo/ tab setup that I put in the 6. Installed mine on the outboard end of the right aileron. Figured it would offset a bit of pilot weight, as I put the auto-pilot servo out there too. I worked great. I know someone who built two 9's with the bias springs. He prefers my aileron tab setup (the same kit you bought).

I have some build pictures on my site..

Go to my kitlog site and select all, then select ailerons and then go to 10/27/2010 and start looking and reading about my install. Larry helped me understand how to get it done. You are right, the instructions leave a lot to be desired. I had access to my spar so adding the doubler plate and cutting the spar opening was easy. I believe the RV-7 Aileron is made a little differently than the RV6 so I don't know for sure if you can retrofit it. I think you can.
http://www.mykitlog.com/users/index.php?user=WenEng&project=665

Does anyone have photos of there project or maybe a source of more detailed info?

Lot's of em...

check out my website on jurgenroeland.brinkster.net
go to 'empenage kit' and then 'elevator' and 'elevator trim attachment' article.

also check 'finish elevators', it may be a good idea for you as well if you have the electric trim to make an extra bushing hole in the rear spar of the elevator for passthrough of the electric wiring. Vans tells you to pass the electric wires AND the threaded pushrod through the same bushing. As you may already have figured out yourself, this is not a very clever idea as the electric wire may rub chafe against the rod and wear out. bad idea...

greetz

J.

Back