What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

HS-1004 Rib Bending Advice

MElstien

Well Known Member
Hello,

I am at section 8-7 step 2 in the RV-10 build. This is the beginning of establishing the HS skeleton. The front and rear spars are already built and primed. Step 2 has me bending the HS-1004 INSPAR using some "exacting science".
2ngbd54.jpg

"This bend can be accomplished by holding the forward portion of the rib against a solid surface and pressing down along the bend line with your fingers. The part will bend along the bend line between the two notches as shown"

I am worried that my bend is at the edge of the notch, closer to the trim cable hole and possibly causing a stress crack to eventually occur. I will call VAN's and ask for their advice but I also value the collective wisdom of this forum. One option may be to enlarge the notch to relieve the potential stress point.

Section%208-9.pdf
Section%208-9%20of%20RV-10%20build.jpg

2-DSC04353.JPG

4-DSC04355.JPG

1-DSC04352.JPG

5-DSC04356.JPG

3-DSC04354.JPG

dosn't look too bad...

to me. In the photo it looks like the bend is very slight. I think you are worrying too much.:) I vote for build on.

I am no expert, but have experienced levels of consternation such as you are facing. I refer to mine as analysis/paralysis or perfection/paralysis. I don't think you need to worry about a stress fracture if you follow Van's directions. I have been concerned about stress fractures if I bent a piece, unbent it, and then bent it again. I believe once you clecoe and rivet the skins and other supporting spars to this rib, it will align where it should and be strongly supported so that bend you created will not continue to flex and crack.

Having recently done this.. You'll be fine.

You could actually not bend it at all because once you line everything up to match holes the bend will be there for you. =)

Drive on good sir.. you are okay.

Its only a minor bend to allign up the parts. Its no factor because once everything is riveted its all locked in place.

Back