What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Camera Equipment

RICHARD HUTSON

Doug what type of pocket camera are you using and your opinon of it? I would also like to see you post a list of your equipment.

Thanks

Hi Richard!

My pocket camera is currently a Canon SD-1000. Nothing fancy and pretty bulletproof (I've dropped it).

I'll work up a camera gear page and will post...

b,
d

What's Your Pleasure...?

Hello Richard!
Like lot of things in life, the answer depends on a lot of factors. Intended purpose (publication, gallery prints, personal prints, webpages, newspapers, etc.), budget, size/weight considerations, digital or film, degree of automation desired, are all just some of the questions that need to be discussed.

As a pro, many of these things flash through my head when discussing a potential job with a client. And as with many things in life, there is/are more than one answer.

I probably can't help much with a point and shoot recommendation, as I don't own one, and have only rarely used one, usually when someone pops one in my hand and says "take our picture." Most often they don't know I'm a pro, and I usually end up looking like a boob, as the little screens on the back I find most annoying, and the time lag between pressing the shutter button and the actual capture to be even more distressing. There is no control...

Also, as a pro, I carry about $10,000 worth of gear in my regular backpack, and I only have four lenses and one body. But they are very GOOD lenses, and so I don't worry about picture quality. I even hesitate to mention that it it's Canon gear, as the possibility then arises for the inevitable debate between Nikon/Canon/whomever.

Such discussions are usually pointless. Pick one that works well for YOU, after you've made your evaluations. Tricycle gear or tail dragger? After a while, it all boils down to what you like, and what your needs are. Nothing else really matters. What I would recommend though is that you ask your friends what they have, and what they think of it.

Some questions to ask include (and I assume we are talking about a digital point 'n shoot):
1. How much lag time is there between pressing the shutter button and the actual "capture"?
2. What about battery life?
3. Does it use easily available batteries, or are they more exotic, like say a 6 volt photo battery? How long do they last?
4. What is the file size?
5. Will it capture RAW files? (This is very important if you want to be able to control your images in post-production.)
6. Is the lens an optical zoom (desirable), or a "digital zoom" (not so desirable)?
7. Do it have a built in flash?
8. Is the flash off-center from the lens? (This helps to prevent "red-eye".)
9. Will it fit in my pocket?
10. Does any editing software come with it?
11. Can I afford to lose it, if it becomes stolen or dropped?
12. What kind of media are the files written to? (I.E. compact flash cards or the smaller secure digital memory cards...)

Questions to ask yourself are:
A. How computer savvy am I?
B. How much time do I want to spend "tweaking" the files?
C. Do I have a lot of RAM in my computer? (You can't have too much, when it comes to processing lots of digital files...)
D. Do I have a color managed system? (The Apple Macintosh system excels at this...)
E. What about digital storage? Can I create a backup system, or install additional hard drives?
F. What about a printer? What is the maximum size I want to print?
G. Will I color calibrate my system?
H. Will I use a digital asset management (DAM) system? (I ask the last question only because the number of digital files you create will never decrease. And it helps to have a system in place to find the photos of Oshkosh from five years ago, without looking through every photo you've ever taken. Trust me on this one, from a guy who has created over 100,000 digital files in the last five years...)
I. Do I understand Metadata, and/or am I willing to learn about it? (This goes hand in hand with the DAM question...)

This should be enough to get you going. If you can, speak with a pro in your geographic area. It often helps to go see their "system", even if it may be badly implemented. At least you'll know how "not" to do it...

All Best,
John Slemp
www.johnslemp.com
www.aviationfineart.com

Last edited:
When I don't want to lug the big SLR around, I have had very good luck with the Casio Zoom series of cameras. While the cameras can be operated completely in automatic mode, the offer a lot of manual control. There have been a lot of shots I've been able to get with my Casio that most point-and-shoots would not have got because i can manually change the shutter speed, have control over flash power, and other settings.

As a bonus, Casio also uses MPEG-4 encoding of their movies, so you can get at lot more video onto your card. I can get 1 hour of video (640x480 @ 30fps) on a 1GB card. Just great.

--Bill

FWIW, I just bought a Canon SD870 IS last month and I am extremely pleased with it. It's very similar to the SD1000 Doug uses, but adds a few mega-pixels, a wide(r)-angle lense, image stabilization, and a larger screen. The only down side is that it doesn't have an optical viewfinder, but the 3" sunlight readable screen more than makes up for it. Plus it does that really cool iPhone/iPod image auto-image-rotation-thing when you are reviewing photos. :p:)

I've been taking a lot of video with it too, and I am amazed at the quality of both the video and audio it records. It's on par with the MiniDV camcorder I have (Canon Elura 100).

Last edited:
Small camera: Canon SD800IS
Large camera: Canon 20D

Small camera is great for flying, particularly when PIC - small, easy to use and hold in one hand, takes video.

Large camera is great for taking photos - great image quality, ability to change lenses.

TODR

Doug what type of pocket camera are you using and your opinon of it? I would also like to see you post a list of your equipment.

Thanks

I'm not Doug, but I've been real happy with a Panasonic Lumix (28mm, 12 megapixel) for inflight snaps.

You can see some examples here. If you click on individual photos, you can download them or click "info" to see the camera model and settings.

I think that the wide angle gives you a better perspective for inflight photos, but opinions will of course vary

I'm not Doug, but I've been real happy with a Panasonic Lumix (28mm, 12 megapixel) for inflight snaps.

You can see some examples here. If you click on individual photos, you can download them or click "info" to see the camera model and settings.

I think that the wide angle gives you a better perspective for inflight photos, but opinions will of course vary

Great photos (btw - I have a Lumix FZ18 I'm quite happy with)!

What I want to know is, what's the story behind this?

web.jpg

Looks cool!

Great photos (btw - I have a Lumix FZ18 I'm quite happy with)!

What I want to know is, what's the story behind this?

Hah!

Good eye;-)

That is an accessory on a friend's Sparrowhawk gyro--it is labeled "crowd control" but is sadly non-functional. The box is full of breakers for the electrical system, and the "barrel" is PVC and semi-flat black Krylon.

The chicks apparently dig it.

I gotta problem right now. I am supposed to clean up my computer with the two airplane build picts. I have 4 gigs of picts and 5 gigs of music on the Dell.

and I am clicking and dragging. urgh.

THANKS

Thanks Gentlemen! I want to replaced my Canon FTBN and the heavy 75 to 200 mm zoom lens. Shooting 35 mm film can get to be expense and someone has to with you to see the prints. I am looking for something lite and has good range to carry while hiking in the Smoky Mountains. A 16 mile round trip to top of Mt LeConte was no fun carrying the big Canon. The new camera will be used for general photography.
John your photography is great, I don't plan on going pro. I will have to give a lot of thought to the questions you have ask.
James some of your photographs brought memories of living in Keflavik, Iceland.
Shamless plug for Flyeyes, Dr. James Freeman MECA Eye Center in Memphis, if you ever need and eye surgeon, he is the man to call. Does both mine and my wife's eye exams each year. His Panasonic makes Dewitt Spain look good.
DR I look forward to your post.

Thanks againg to all!

Last edited:
Additional reference

Here's a couple links to good camera review sites. I'm pretty frugal ("no dad... you're cheap... :rolleyes:"!)... and always try to get the most bang for the buck. I also am concerned about reliability issues on any product I buy... so I tend to over-research and review things... or so my wife says! ;)

So in addition to first hand advice from friends such as here... these sites will help you see what is available out there... and maybe consider some issues/features/etc. that you may not otherwise.

http://www.steves-digicams.com/
http://www.dpreview.com/

DJ

The SD-1000 is a great camera, I bought one a few months ago and am pleased with it. It doesn't have image stabilization so it doesn't do all that well at low light or with flash off. Costco has them right now for $190 with a 2gb card, which is a great price. Having the optical viewfinder is a nice thing to have if you're taking pictures in-flight and its bumpy...I use my cheek to steady the camera.

Camera Recommendations...

Hello Richard!
Thanks for the kind remarks. If you ever need photo help, just let me know.

I don't know everything there is to know about photography, but I know several people who do!

By the way, I'll be running around central Tennessee this weekend seeing family (Columbia, and Franklin). Have a good Holiday!

John

PS: If you don't do anything else, determine early on which program you will use to archive/catalog your images. You'll thank yourself later on for doing it now...

Back