What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-10 Elevator Travel

MElstien

Well Known Member
Hello, I could use a little double checking before I drill the WD-605 for the hinge/bearing. I have mounted the elevators and I have confirmed I get no binding and full and free travel 25 degree full-down and 30 degrees full up as per plans. The gap along the tip of the elevator to the edge of the Horizontal stabilizer is even at around .115 (recommended .125).

So all appears good and this was not hard once I figured out how to insert the bolts in those small holes. I also have, the love, the washer wrenches. I used them for the nut as well.

My question is there is not much more travel on the full-down side. By down, I mean the trailing edge is pointing down and the tip is pointing up. The limit is being caused by the WD-605 horn hitting the rear spar.

I probably could increase the travel by taking the rod bearing out a turn or two, but this will increase the gap between the trailing edge of the horizonatal stab and the elevator. That change will also move the WD-606 hole closer to the edge, but I have more than enough edge distance.

I meet the requirements as per plans, but is it advisable to have a bit more margin on the Full Down and limit?

Awaiting some wisdom.

Also...

When you have the ailerons and linkage attached, you may find some interference between the bolts on the control stick base and the control stick base mount.

I called Van's about this and they said that the 25 down and 30 up were the upper limits of the travel. They said that the range is 20-25 down and 25-30 up...

Elevator Travel

Thank you Rocketman.

That is exactly the type of answer I was looking for. I just rant out to buy a digital level as a double check to my college style protractor. I have 27.3 degrees down and 37 degrees full up with no binding.

Time to tighten up the jam nuts and move on.

But...

Have you attached the aileron linkage? That is where my interference occurred. Full up elevator ~31 degrees and full left or right aileron. The bolts holding the aileron pushrods were interfering with the control stick base mount...not much but you could feel it in the stick. I called Van's and they told me about the acceptable range. I reduced my up travel to 29 degrees and re made the elevator up stop...no interference now.

Note that I did not find this until the wing attach section when everything was hooked up...

Elevator Stops

Hello Rocketman,

I am just attaching the elevators (section 11-3) to the HS right now and making sure I have the freedom of travel required. I think the stop adjusts come later, I will have to look further on in the plans. Fuse and Wings are QB but I have not worked on them yet.

Yep

That is what I did. Unfortunately, the plans say to file the up stop if necessary, and I did, to achieve ~31 degrees. When I put it all together and realized I needed to reduce the up travel slightly, I decided to drill out and remove to up stop, replacing it with one that gave me the travel that I needed...

No big deal, just more work...

Back