What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Elevator counter weights

togaflyer

Well Known Member
I cut the E 614 counter balance weight to plan specifications (elevator section page 9-15). The weight still comes in contact with the elevator counter balance skin rivets. So questions:

Do I trim enough off the counter balance weights needed to clear the rivets

Should I squeeze the rivet slightly more (its within tolerance as is)

Is there a minimum weight requirement for the counter balance weights for stability. Are they weight sensitive.

Should the four counterbalance weight, on a scale, be trimmed so they all weight the same.

Thanks.

I would be interested in your solution. Last night I trimmed my RV-10 E-614 weights and mounted one set. I trimmed them using the band saw and then took the raised section off by using a chisel and going slow while it was clamped in a vise. I then smoothed the rough edges off using a belt sander.

Mine fit just fine. I did notice that before trimming the weights, you should make sure the holes are 1 inch and .75 inches from top and bottom edges. Review the diagram again. Mine were OK. If your original parts came in longer and you did not first trim or adjust to 1 inch on top and .75 on bottom, then maybe they are too long to begin with.

I'd just mash the lead weight a bit with a screwdriver to make it not touch. Keep in mind you have to put a fairing in there still =)

The amount of weight is important so don't trim too much off..

Back