What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV9 G3X panel

Walt

Well Known Member
Merry Xmas to the owner, Doesn't get much better than this, full panel upgrades with:

Garmin Touch, G5, GTN750, GMA245 audio panel, GMC507 autopilot control, remote GTR20 com and GTX45R, lights/trim/flap system control via GAD27, TCW BU bat, dual USB ports, Kannad ELT, full LED Ldg/nav/str lights by AeroLeds, electron supply from B&C, etc etc..., Steinair for CAD cut panel.

IMG_7842rev11200.jpg

Here's the original:
IMG_1736-M.jpg

Last edited:
Shared dreams!

Walt- Beautiful, and incredibly close to the upgrade I’m in the middle of for my 7A tilt-up with oversized panel! The plywood mockup, using convenient full-sized images a ailable online from Garmin, is pictured here. The iPad and iPhone are the only things real here- even the switches and breakers are life-sized photos I made.
2v2EHs31hxBELK5.jpg

The main differences are that I decided on the panel mount GTX345 instead of the remote so that the GTN750 can control it directly, and just a single G3XTouch to leave room for the iPad 10.5” Pro running ForeFlight(which the Garmin system now talks very nicely with via bluetooth in several devices.)

Like you, I decided to make this more pilot-centric by moving the entire radio stack about 4.5” to the left. The greatest challenge here was moving the canopy jettison mechanism out of the way. I’ll be posting athread about that later.

Last edited:
Beautiful Walt!
Couple of questions:
1. Are the "bumps" on the glareshield the GPS antenna?
2. Is there any provision for cooling fans thru the glareshield for avionics heat dissipation or windshield defrosting?
3. Did you have to cut the F-7107R fwd fuselage rib to make room for the GTN750? If so did you reinforce it?
4. Is the panel depth (from the underside of the glareshield to the bottom of the panel flange) standard Vans depth or deeper?
5. Is there a carb heat or alternate air control?
Thanks.

How would I go about dupilcating this for my build? It is really well planned

Talk to Mike at Steinair, he and I work together on these to make it all fit, this is one I designed for 'Buz'.

Beautiful Walt!
Couple of questions:
1. Are the "bumps" on the glareshield the GPS antenna?
2. Is there any provision for cooling fans thru the glareshield for avionics heat dissipation or windshield defrosting?
3. Did you have to cut the F-7107R fwd fuselage rib to make room for the GTN750? If so did you reinforce it?
4. Is the panel depth (from the underside of the glareshield to the bottom of the panel flange) standard Vans depth or deeper?
5. Is there a carb heat or alternate air control?
Thanks.

1. Yes GPS antennas for each screen, 750 antenna on rear fuselage.
2. no cooling fans required, no defrost.
3. Small notch, 750 is quite shallow at the top
4. Standard height panel (barely fits).
5. F.I., no manual alt air.

Last edited:
The main differences are that I decided on the panel mount GTX345 instead of the remote so that the GTN750 can control it directly, and just a single G3XTouch to leave room for the iPad 10.5” Pro running ForeFlight(which the Garmin system now talks very nicely with via bluetooth in several devices.)

Like you, I decided to make this more pilot-centric by moving the entire radio stack about 4.5” to the left. The greatest challenge here was moving the canopy jettison mechanism out of the way. I’ll be posting athread about that later.

Not sure I understand the logic of a panel mounted xpdr so it can be controlled by the panel mounted 750?

I try to avoid extended panels whenever possible, no such thing as too much horse power, or too much leg room.

I suggest you try flying with an Ipad mounted on the CP side to see how it works in real life, personally I like the Ipad mounted on the rail right next to me where my hand is steadier and visibility much better.

Last edited:
For those interested in the behind the scenes look at things.
(some of the sub-panel was previously cut out hence the large than nec holes in some areas)

IMG_0571-X2.jpg

IMG_0569-X2.jpg

Not sure I understand the logic of a panel mounted xpdr so it can be controlled by the panel mounted 750?

I try to avoid extended panels whenever possible, no such thing as too much horse power, or too much leg room.

I suggest you try flying with an Ipad mounted on the CP side to see how it works in real life, personally I like the Ipad mounted on the rail right next to me where my hand is steadier and visibility much better.

I’m not making the panel larger, it has had the 1.5” height increase for 10 years- plenty of legroom for my 5’-10” frame but you are right would crowd very tall pilot’s legs. Van’ssells undrilled 14” blanks with flange so you can dial in panel size. Although the plywood model is same as my original, I’m raising the bottom about 1/2” in the metal one because I have a bit more space than I really need, so I will end up 1” over standard height.

The remote GTX45R is great, but cannot be controlled by the GTN750- you have to have the certified unit for that. Ifyou lose the G3X, you are stuck with current entries on remote com and transponder. I decided it is better to have direct hard-button control of that, the autopilot, and the audio panel, all of which have remote conterparts, so that I don’t haveto go digging around on the G3X every time I wan’t to change settings. That way, the G5 provides full backup if the G3X goes belly up. The panel mount 507 also allows auto-trim and other AFCS features not available if servos are controlled only be G3X.

As for iPad on CP side, I’ve been doing just that for more than a year and love it. Will be even better with it nearly five inches closer- ram mount allows glare free, head on viewing.

Doesn't the 750 still need a certified transponder to receive traffic, weather, and enable use of the touch screen to change the transponder? or - is there a certified remote transponder with all that?

Doesn't the 750 still need a certified transponder to receive traffic, weather, and enable use of the touch screen to change the transponder? or - is there a certified remote transponder with all that?

The GTX45R, controlled easily by the G3X, provides weather & traffic to both G3X screens as well as the 650/750.
And of course like most G3X products, the GTX45R costs less than the panel mount GTX345.

The G3X also has full reversionary mode, so if the PFD fails the MFD automatically reverts to the PFD for xpdr control.
So why do I need to control the xpdr from the 750? (no reason I can think of)

If I'm actually IFR and lose the G3X screens, the least of my problems is changing the squawk code for ATC, and if I'm VFR who cares.

Last edited:
For those interested in the behind the scenes look at things.
(some of the sub-panel was previously cut out hence the large than nec holes in some areas)

IMG_0571-X2.jpg

IMG_0569-X2.jpg

Walt. Do you have any photos of the center stack radios and how the racks are supported through the center and on the back side? Thx

The GTX45R, controlled easily by the G3X, provides weather & traffic to both G3X screens as well as the 650/750.
And of course like most G3X products, the GTX45R costs less than the panel mount GTX345.

The G3X also has full reversionary mode, so if the PFD fails the MFD automatically reverts to the PFD for xpdr control.
So why do I need to control the xpdr from the 750? (no reason I can think of)

If I'm actually IFR and lose the G3X screens, the least of my problems is changing the squawk code for ATC, and if I'm VFR who cares.

Walt- I was not suggesting that YOU need GTN750 control of the transponder- as you say you are ok if one G3X fails. I elected to build around a single G3X to save the weight and space of dual G3X?s and backup batteries, so my redundant pathways are GTN+G5+507 or G3X+remote com+507. In either case I have full communications, transponder, and flightplan functionality, with considerable help available from the iPad. The G5 is a marvel if adequately supported, and its backup battery is the only one in my system. (i do have twin main EarthX- fully redundant)- Otis

Walt. Do you have any photos of the center stack radios and how the racks are supported through the center and on the back side? Thx

The 750 is supported with a strap on the back, the audio panel is so light it doen't require a rear support, sorry thats it for pics.

Nice attention to details, Walt, might want to catch that 650 dimmer label, probably fixed already. I was told my 23es with the GDL39R would not send weather and traffic etc to my GTN650 due to cert, good to see that is not the case. It looks like my piggy bank should be started for a GEN III G3X system. I only have 70 hrs and obsolete already. built too slow. The PTT on the panel is a very good idea. So many good detail ideas!!

I'm curious, when you do a big retrofit like this, what is your approach to how much pre-existing wiring to try to save? Lean toward rip it out, or try to save every usable connection?

I'm curious, when you do a big retrofit like this, what is your approach to how much pre-existing wiring to try to save? Lean toward rip it out, or try to save every usable connection?

I rip out about 95% of it usually. It seems that in general, many folks have problems doing a nice quality electrical system.
When I do a panel I'm committed to doing the best job possible and that it not only looks and works good, but is safe and reliable.
Most of my panels are IFR and literally your life may depend on it, so I take it pretty serious.

Along that same line every IFR panel I do goes out with dual ADAHRS, a G5, backup battery, and a new B&C alt/reg.

Last edited:
Planning - Budgeting

As an aspiring pilot and aspiring builder that hasn't started either journey, I read through the original alphabet soup with interest. I then spent some time researching the components and think I understand what all the visible and listed components are and what functions they perform. Not knowing what additional servos, sensors, or components are required, looks like that arrangement is just shy of $43k. What is a fair estimate for the high-end of avionics on a future build, $50k?

As an aspiring pilot and aspiring builder that hasn't started either journey, I read through the original alphabet soup with interest. I then spent some time researching the components and think I understand what all the visible and listed components are and what functions they perform. Not knowing what additional servos, sensors, or components are required, looks like that arrangement is just shy of $43k. What is a fair estimate for the high-end of avionics on a future build, $50k?

With the 750 you'd be pretty close to budget 40K for equipment, extras like servos and install kits, lights, alt/reg, switches, breakers, antennas, harnesses, coax/connectors etc. etc. do add up, so a 45K budget should cover most everything if you do all the labor yourself.

Of course not everyone goes for the full enchilida up front, provisions for the second screen and a GTN650 would save you over 8K initially.

Last edited:

I placed too much emphasis on the 750 being able to control the transponder, though this is convenient since my 750 is com1, nav1, and to a degree, communications control central. The more pertinant point is that the panel mount GTX345 is itself fully available and controllable in the event that the G3X OR the GTN750 are lost. When everything is working traffic and weather can be displayed onthe G3X, the 750, the iPad,and even the iPhone.

The best redundant systems are those that lose the least functionallity after a single point failure. I?m comfortable with the remote com unit as com2 controlled by the G3X because com1 IS the 750. I was less comfortable with the remote transponder because, with a single G3X, control of it would be lost with a G3X failure. Walt?s panel, with dual G3X?s and backup battery, has added redundancy, but at the cost of considerable weight, panel space, and $$. The G5 is essential to redundancy in my setup, but it is a real gem.- Otis

Back