What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Source and spec needed for CANBUS cable.

sf260

Can anyone recommend an exact MILSPEC number and a preferred vendor for CANBUS wiring needs?

Also curious why Garmin did not just run with NMEA 2000 standard cabling stuff for the G3X. Probably as it is bulkier than needed and not 150C rated would be my first guess. NMEA 2000 cabling allows a drop (node) length of several meters.. but for the G3X and G5 stuff you are told no more than a few inches. Curious what that is as well.

Can anyone recommend an exact MILSPEC number and a preferred vendor for CANBUS wiring needs?

Also curious why Garmin did not just run with NMEA 2000 standard cabling stuff for the G3X. Probably as it is bulkier than needed and not 150C rated would be my first guess. NMEA 2000 cabling allows a drop (node) length of several meters.. but for the G3X and G5 stuff you are told no more than a few inches. Curious what that is as well.

Garmin's recommendations are what they are based on their extensive testing and to provide the largest margin for error possible while still maintaining some flexibility. Most modern GA airplanes are electrically noisy environments.

Can you get away with a stub that is a few feet long...maybe. Is it a good idea? I would say for the average builder No.... stick with Garmin's recommendations. If you are a techno wiz with access to the appropriate scope and knowledge to measure and analyze the performance of a particular topology of bus in flight, go for it.

M27500-22TG1T14 is (two conductor shielded) commonly available - but is it "twisted pair?"

As far as I can determine this stuff is just multi-conductor cable. Are the conductors actually twisted? Twisted pairs are important for "common mode rejection" -so does anyone know the MILSPEC for M27500 series cable - in a 22 ga two conductor shielded twisted pair format?

Part number 11-05650 from aircraft spruce is a twisted pair of 22 gauge wiring with shielding. I use it all the time.

Bill

Back