What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Aeroleds Aerosun VX Wire

KJBSouth

Well Known Member
Does anyone know of a good source for shielded four conductor, 18 AWG cable? Mouser only sells 100 ft. Rolls. Spruce charges $1.90 per ft.

The Aerosun VX wingtip lights have five wire connections:
1. Landing +12v
2. Taxi +12v
3. Recognition +12v
4. Sync to other wingtip
5. Ground (shielding)

18 AWG conductors are recommended. I bought two VX at Sun-N-Fun. I phoned AeroLeds about the cable and was told "that's a good question", for which there was no good answer. Help!

You can do this will triple shielded wiring. Only the 3 positive wires need be shielded, the shield itself will be grounded locally at both ends.

B&C has the best shielded wiring prices I have found but they do not have 18 gauge listed on their site. They do have 22g but not sure what you need.

Stein has triple shielded 18g for 1.80 and 20g for 1.55.

I went with A/C Spruce for mine prior to finding the price at B&C :(

If you are set on running 4 shielded wires, you could use twisted pair shielded and bond the shields at both ends.

I have just completed installing and wiring the Aerosun VX as per the installation instructions. It does not show or say anything about shielded wire. is this going to be a problem

I have just completed installing and wiring the Aerosun VX as per the installation instructions. It does not show or say anything about shielded wire. is this going to be a problem

No, shielded wire is not required for the Vx, but if you choose to use it for convenience (bundled wires), then the above description is valid.

Does anybody know if the green wire is needed if I will connect the VX to a Garmin GAD27. Means I will not use the WIG/WAG which is built in the VX but will wire both LDG light power separately to the GAD27 which will operate above a certain speed the lights in WIG/WAG mode.

You can even use unshielded wire, but it is best to twist the power and ground wires together if you do, and run the ground back with the power wires...

You can even use unshielded wire
Then why do some builders use shielded wire for the lights?

but it is best to twist the power and ground wires together if you do
Does this do the same thing as using shielded wire?

and run the ground back with the power wires...
Do you mean instead of grounding to the airframe near the light that we should run the ground back to power source?

Thanks!!

Does anybody know if the green wire is needed if I will connect the VX to a Garmin GAD27. Means I will not use the WIG/WAG which is built in the VX but will wire both LDG light power separately to the GAD27 which will operate above a certain speed the lights in WIG/WAG mode.

This question was never answered and was wondering if perhaps Dean or somebody else could chime in. I ran two shielded 3 conductor wires (one for the Pulsar and the second for the VX Sun lights) at the suggestion of Mike at Aeroled. It seems that I'm a wire short for the VX Sun's even if I use the shield as a ground return. With the GAD27 and/or VPX, does that negate the need for the yellow and green (wig wag) wires on the VX's?

Back