Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 12-04-2018, 01:38 PM

Default RV-8 Rudder Build Critique ?

Guys,
I continue to finish empennage components. I gotta a few concerns about my workmanship. Take a look and let me know if there are any issues. Thank you.

1) Rudder bend - It's not pretty, but would it cause any issues down the road?
2) The R-809 (fiberglass tip) does not seat with as close a tolerance to the R-713 (counter balance skin) and R-801PP (rudder skin) as I have viewed finished aircraft. Should I be concerned with these or keep building?

RV- 8, N297DW, (sold)
RV- 8, Build in progress

VAF 2018 Donation
Old 12-04-2018, 03:02 PM

Default RV8 parts

The bend on the front of these controls is a pain. Won't really cause any issues and its pretty hidden in there. I would worry about it.

The fiberglass stands a bit high because the inside flange will hit the alum rib on top. No big deal. It will look fine when it painted unless you're going for a showplane.

Build on and don't worry about little details like this. If you're really unhappy when airplane is done you can build another rudder in a weekend.

Steve H
Cold Lake, Alberta
RV7A #70015 - C-FZQX - built - sold
RV7A #71629 - C-FSIS - built - sold across Atlantic
RV7 #70215 - C-GOJU - flying - sold
RV7 #70703 - C-GMIY - flying - sold
RV6 #60119 - C-FHBZ - built - Airventure 2016 Bronze Lindy - sold
RV10 #41779 - built emp - sold
RV8 #82842 - C-FSBG - Fastback with big hp IO-360-A1B6 10:1
Old 12-04-2018, 03:06 PM

First off, I don't see any airworthiness issues.
On the tips, to get a better fit, you can take a sanding block with a sharp edge and sand the joint square. This area has a filet from the molding process and needs to be squared up so the fiberglass tip will regress into the rudder. Make sure you keep that line straight when you sand. Draw a line for reference.

How are you bending the leading edge? Are those dents?
One method is to tape the leading edge down with strong tape to a pipe. Roll the edge while keeping the skin and pipe flat on your table. Vice Grips can be used to grab the pipe. It takes pressure to keep the pipe down on the table while your rolling it and keep the skin down too.

We had a special pipe that allowed the flange to sit in a machined slot that made it easier, but you can still do it with standard schedule #40 plumbers pipe.

Lastly, take a straight edge and lay it on the spar edgewise and down to the traiking edge. This should be straight all the way to the traiking edge bend.

RV6 - Builder/Flying
Bucker Jungmann
Fiat G.46 -(restoration in progress, if I have enough life left in me)
RV1 - Proud Pilot.
Old 12-04-2018, 03:11 PM

Steve was typing while I was.
I do, mostly, agree with Steve, however, this is one place I look when evaluating workmanship. I look here because it is one area that tells me how the rest of the build might be.

What is acceptable is up to you. Odds are it will fly just the same the way it is.

By the way, if you can built a rudder in a weekend, your hired, unless it looks like this. Sorry, but I am picky and there is a price to pay in the time it takes to do things "right", at least in my terms. That is just me....

RV6 - Builder/Flying
Bucker Jungmann
Fiat G.46 -(restoration in progress, if I have enough life left in me)
RV1 - Proud Pilot.

Last edited by JonJay : 12-04-2018 at 03:14 PM.
Old 12-04-2018, 10:29 PM

The fiberglass fit on my -8 tail was bad. I would get the fiberglass fit up on the vertical stab and see how they match up. Mine took alot of work. Reglassing, filling, sanding, etc untill it looked like it should and match the VS fiberglass. Especially if you want to cap the VS glass in front of the rudder counterbalance.

2018 dues paid
Old 12-05-2018, 10:01 AM

Default Thanks guys!

1) I did use a 1" diameter pipe to roll the leading edge, but reworked it several times because I was not happy with the result. I ended up rolling it in sections instead of along the whole length. It is smooth although the pictures look like it has some dents.
2) Good input on the fiberglass tips. thank you to all.
RV- 8, N297DW, (sold)
RV- 8, Build in progress

VAF 2018 Donation