What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Avidyne updates at Jeppeson

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikerkba

Well Known Member
I'm not sure I understand the difference in Navdata and Charts for the first time I am updating my IFD540. I also note that the geographic areas of coverage don't exactly overlap, further adding to my confusion on what I am buying. I don't see a description of the two data sources in the Pilots Guide for the unit either. It works in my panel with an AFS5600 (which is updated via Seattle Avionics subscription).

There is this one statement on the Jepp site, but charts (as compared to NavData) are not distinguished.
"Avionics Data Solutions Overview

Your avionics system is only as good as the data behind the displays and functions. Jeppesen avionic data solutions include: navigation data (NavData ®), obstacle data, terrain data and cultural data. These data sets power the latest technological advances in many EFIS, MFD and PFD displays.
•NavData – provides you with vital knowledge of airport features, runway characteristics, communications information, waypoint features, SIDs, STARs, terminal approach procedure information, VORs, NDBs and a comprehensive set of boundaries for controlled/restricted airspace.
•Obstacle data – consists of man-made features such as cell phone towers, radio towers, buildings, cranes and ships.
•Terrain data – includes topographical features of the earth and is displayed in three-arc, second clarity on some displays."

What is the difference in the two IFD items,
am I making the right decision to update both data sets, and
does it matter if the geographic areas are different (e.g., Avidyne charts for the Western US, and Avidyne NavData for West and Central US (or entire US)?

I appreciate your guidance, or a pointer to where I can read up on the databases.

Last edited:
In your situation I would only buy the NAV data and not the charts. The IFD540 can display Jeppesen Approach Plates, but they are pretty small. Since you have the large Approach plates and Charts on the AF-5600 you don't need them on the IFD.

Rob Hickman
Advanced Flight Systems Inc.
N402RH RV-10

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back