VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 05-12-2019, 04:42 PM

Default High voltage

My charging voltage shows 14.9 - 15.1 volts in cruise flight. I have the standard Vans 60 amp internally regulated PLane Power alternator. I guess the question is whether this is a problem or not. Electrical system seems happy so far. I assume the voltage reading is correct; G3X engine monitor.
Old 05-12-2019, 04:57 PM

Yes, this is a problem.

Suggest you first connect a simple multimeter and verify your engine monitor is accurately reading buss voltage (you need not run the engine, just compare the readings). If so, repair or replace the alternator.

Carl
Old 05-12-2019, 08:37 PM

Default Plane power alternator

You've already received the correct advice of verifying with a multimeter.

On a side note the 60 amp plane power alternators have not been enjoying a great reputation for reliability. A survey on here indicated that about 1/3 of them fail with less than 300 hours. Mine failed somewhere around 240 hours. I had it repaired by a local autoelectrics shop. So if you feel the need to remove it any automotive alternator repair shop should be able to bench test it for you.
Old 05-12-2019, 08:55 PM

Voltage is measured as a reference to ground. Verify your engine/alternator are properly grounded.
Wings complete.
Fuselage in progress
Wiring in progress
2018 Donation made!
Old 05-13-2019, 02:52 AM

IIRC (and itís quite possible I donít) the internally regulated PP senses buss voltage off the field circuit line. Make sure there are solid connections, low resistance CB, etc, on that line/connection, too.
Itís almost as if you have one diode worth of voltage drop in that line.
Old 05-13-2019, 05:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilot2512 View Post
Voltage is measured as a reference to ground. Verify your engine/alternator are properly grounded.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobTurner View Post
IIRC (and itís quite possible I donít) the internally regulated PP senses buss voltage off the field circuit line. Make sure there are solid connections, low resistance CB, etc, on that line/connection, too.
Itís almost as if you have one diode worth of voltage drop in that line.
Two excellent suggestions as the place to start.

RV-7
1st Flight 1-27-18
Phase II 8-3-18
Repairman 11-15-18
Instrument Currency 12-17-18
Shrunken Exit = ??
No Photo? => PM me.
Old 05-13-2019, 07:04 AM

Before you convict the alternator, verify that you do not have a significant voltage drop across the field wire. As pointed out in an earlier response, the voltage regulator uses the field terminal to determine the regulated voltage. If the field wire, CB, or switch, has too much resistance, a voltage drop will develop across that path, which will result in the VR thinking the voltage is too low and increase it's output voltage. The first step would be to measure the voltage drop across the path of the field circuit. You could also remove the field wire and temporarily run a new 18 gauge wire from the battery to the field terminal and run the engine and see if that fixes your issue.
Having said that. My PP alternator lasted less than 400 hours before it was replaced with a Band C.
WA0SYV
Aviation Partners, LLC
Old 05-13-2019, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill.Peyton View Post
My PP alternator lasted less than 400 hours before it was replaced with a Band C.
Do you have a link to purchase your replacement? I'm almost thinking of buying one for the shelf after this topic.
Old 05-13-2019, 10:54 AM

Also check the connector at the alternator. Thereís an extensive thread about that.

If it ends up to be a failing regulator, hereís the Aircraftspruce part numberr for a replacement:
07-17968

Lenny
Old 05-16-2019, 12:10 PM

After reading all the above and checking accuracy of my voltmeter (within .2 of test instrument), I did what I should have done first. A review of the Odyssey spec sheet showed ideal charging voltage 14.7 and normal range 14.2 to 15 volts. I guess Iím OK... Thanks to all for their input.