- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-10
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-07-2019, 09:24 PM

Todd,
It sounds like you are looking for an airplane with the speed of your corporate jet, but in a personal airplane that you can fly relatively economically. I donít think that airplane exists in the RV community, relative to your requirements for speed and economy. Even if you are willing to sacrifice some speed with an acceptable fuel burn, you wonít get there based on your stated requirements. What you are sacrificing with any other non-RV design is flying qualities. If you are willing to sacrifice flying qualities for speed, then what is wrong with your Glasair III? It doesnít have very good harmonized controls, and it isnít very comfortable, or able to carry much baggage, and the runway requirements are a little more restrictive, but if it meets your mission profile, whatís wrong with it?
Vans airplanes are state of the art in terms of ďTotal PerformanceĒ. An F-16, or T-38 may handle as well, but for normal human beings paying the bill, you just canít get any better in the flying qualities game than an RV. If your only goal is to go fast with very low fuel burn, while sacrificing stable flying qualities, then there are other choices. They are expensive. Seems like renting or chartering might be a better choice when you need to get somewhere quickly in an airplane you donít own.
RV4/bought 2016/sold/2017
RV8/2018 built/Flying
Cincinnati, OH/KHAO
JAN2019
Old 05-07-2019, 09:49 PM

So your wife has anxiety and you squeeze her into a Glassair and fly her in IFR and icing conditions? Ever considered buying her a first class airline ticket and picking her up at the airport after you arrive, unload the luggage, and get a car? At least on the hard IFR days?
Old 05-07-2019, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Hersha View Post
Todd,
It sounds like you are looking for an airplane with the speed of your corporate jet, but in a personal airplane that you can fly relatively economically. I donít think that airplane exists in the RV community, relative to your requirements for speed and economy. Even if you are willing to sacrifice some speed with an acceptable fuel burn, you wonít get there based on your stated requirements. What you are sacrificing with any other non-RV design is flying qualities. If you are willing to sacrifice flying qualities for speed, then what is wrong with your Glasair III? It doesnít have very good harmonized controls, and it isnít very comfortable, or able to carry much baggage, and the runway requirements are a little more restrictive, but if it meets your mission profile, whatís wrong with it?
Vans airplanes are state of the art in terms of ďTotal PerformanceĒ. An F-16, or T-38 may handle as well, but for normal human beings paying the bill, you just canít get any better in the flying qualities game than an RV. If your only goal is to go fast with very low fuel burn, while sacrificing stable flying qualities, then there are other choices. They are expensive. Seems like renting or chartering might be a better choice when you need to get somewhere quickly in an airplane you donít own.
No, that is not what I said, but I agree with you. Actually the G3 in the hands of a qualified pilot is an exceptionally safe plane while being fast and efficient. It is a terrifying plane to a passenger that is unwilling/afraid to learn to fly it. I think the RV14 is a nice compromise and I am willing to consider it. I also like the Lancair ES for the same reasons. I really don't care about the fuel burn. We burn 270 gallons per hour in the XLS and it doesn't concern me, but it requires two pilots and is a waste of money to go to our second home for just two of us for that reason. If it was just me I would be in a Lancair IVP with liability only insurance and not worry about it. The fact is that I have a wife that I love greatly and want her to be comfortable. I think the 14 has a very non intimidating profile and I think I could teach a my wife to fly in it due to it's simplicity and being so easy to fly. My other option is to simply send her on the airlines and me fly what I want or maybe take the XLS with her. I just can't stand the airlines. Until I can't fly anymore I would rather pay 10x as much and go on my own terms.
Old 05-07-2019, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian257 View Post
So your wife has anxiety and you squeeze her into a Glassair and fly her in IFR and icing conditions? Ever considered buying her a first class airline ticket and picking her up at the airport after you arrive, unload the luggage, and get a car? At least on the hard IFR days?
Never flew her in the ice in the Glasair. IFR in the Glasair is smoother than any piston airplane out there due to the wing loading. The cabin width is wider than most GA airplanes.

The problem is with the skill it takes to fly the plane and if you are a non pilot passenger and have no stomach for learning to fly the plane it is a non-starter.

Remember, She is nervous in a Cabin Class Duke or King Air at 25k ft in smooth air riding in the back. The fear is being alone in the plane if I die while flying. I need her in something that she can either pull the handle and float to the ground, land herself, or that has two pilots that she trusts.
Old 05-07-2019, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toddsanderson View Post
Never flew her in the ice in the Glasair. IFR in the Glasair is smoother than any piston airplane out there due to the wing loading. The cabin width is wider than most GA airplanes.

The problem is with the skill it takes to fly the plane and if you are a non pilot passenger and have no stomach for learning to fly the plane it is a non-starter.

Remember, She is nervous in a Cabin Class Duke or King Air at 25k ft in smooth air riding in the back. The fear is being alone in the plane if I die while flying. I need her in something that she can either pull the handle and float to the ground, land herself, or that has two pilots that she trusts.
With all due respect, it sounds like you already had the airplane that suited your demands, just not the airplane that met her needs. You're asking to make an RV into something it wasn't really meant to be.
Old 05-07-2019, 11:21 PM

Default ES-P w/ BRS?

I love the -10 but maybe the Lancair ES-P in St Louis listed on Controller might fit your needs. I know nothing of the plane, but have been familiarizing myself with single-engine pressurized options and drooled over this one lately.

Seems like its installed BRS chute, some de-icing capability and efficient speed touch a couple of the big items on your wish list.

And if it doesnít work out for your wifeís comfort level after purchase, maybe I could buy it from you (at a discount! ) and see if my GA-hesitant wife likes that better than our -10.

Seriously though, I hope you find a good match to keep flying GA.
Prior partner in RV-9a & RV-10
Now flying RV-10 #40515
Old 05-08-2019, 06:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 543TB View Post
With all due respect, it sounds like you already had the airplane that suited your demands, just not the airplane that met her needs. You're asking to make an RV into something it wasn't really meant to be.
I agree, but BRS now had kits for the RV series, so that might be an option. The performance of the 14 is pretty good considering how docile it is.
Old 05-08-2019, 06:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vfr800 View Post
I love the -10 but maybe the Lancair ES-P in St Louis listed on Controller might fit your needs. I know nothing of the plane, but have been familiarizing myself with single-engine pressurized options and drooled over this one lately.

Seems like its installed BRS chute, some de-icing capability and efficient speed touch a couple of the big items on your wish list.

And if it doesnít work out for your wifeís comfort level after purchase, maybe I could buy it from you (at a discount! ) and see if my GA-hesitant wife likes that better than our -10.

Seriously though, I hope you find a good match to keep flying GA.
The Super ES with BRS would be a good plane and the ES-P is a good option. I was hoping to stay away from another Turbo plane, but it is an option. I probably need to have her ride in a 14 or 10 to see if it a possibility.
Old 05-08-2019, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toddsanderson View Post
I just can't stand the airlines. Until I can't fly anymore I would rather pay 10x as much and go on my own terms.
Oh **** Yes. I would say the same except add the kabuki theater that is the TSA.
Old 05-08-2019, 08:58 AM

Default V35 to a RV-10

I flew my V35 for 25 years. It did not have tip tanks and my personal minimum is to land at my destination with 1 hour of fuel on board. This made planing IFR flights with a alternative short. Three years ago I started building a 10 to replace it. With the lower fuel burn and the fact both I and my wife are retired. And can be flexible about time, serious IFR can be avoided. Also with the lower fuel burn the range will be better. At my age and the fact she is not a pilot, is making me consider the BRS chute. Also if you remove the rear seats and add a fuselage tank, the range will be longer than most bladders can stand and will have huge luggage capacity for a two place. Add cold air induction and electronic ignition and high compression pistons and you will have more than the stock 260 HP.
Just my thoughts
Tom