- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-10
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-06-2019, 12:11 PM

Default Artex 345 Antenna Location

I'm interested in hearing (or preferably seeing) the location where folks are mounting the ELT anteanna from their Artex 345 ELT on their 10s. It's a pretty long whip antenna and after doing so much hard work to keep antennas clean and off the top of the plane, I'm not seeing many alternatives.

Vic had a good idea of putting it inside the cabin on the rear seat back support cross bar but I have the Aerosport headliner and am not crazy about that idea.

I know some have burried it in the vertical stabilizer fairing but that's not going to pass muster with the final inspection for airworthyness.

Any other ideas before I accept fate and put a fishing rod on my tail cone?

Thanks!
N1017H Reserved
EAA #: 1106970
2019 VAF Dues Paid!

Last edited by majuro15 : 05-07-2019 at 05:52 AM.
Old 05-06-2019, 12:16 PM

I drilled two 2" holes in the bulkhead for air feeds into the o/h console. I only ended up doing one NACA vent. So, I made a plate to cover one of them and used it to mount the artex antenna facing inside the o/h console. While it is horizontal, that doesn't matter for the 406 signal and the 151 signal, that needs the vertical orientation, isn't really used anymore.

Larry

Last edited by lr172 : 05-06-2019 at 12:19 PM.
Old 05-06-2019, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by majuro15 View Post
SNIP

I know so have burried it in the vertical stabilizer fairing but that's not going to pass muster with the final inspection for airworthyness.
Says who? The local FAA FSDO office did my first two RVs, both have the ELT antenna under the empennage fairing. The new RV-8 will as well.

I consider this a very survivable location for the antenna - so for me that sets the priority.

Carl

Last edited by Carl Froehlich : 05-06-2019 at 12:55 PM.
Old 05-06-2019, 12:44 PM

Larry, interesting idea, I haven't thought of that. I'm running aircon up there, but could still fit it in. Does the cabin top interfere with signal at all? That's some pretty thick fiberglass and then will have carbon surrounding it. Are you getting good tests on it?
N1017H Reserved
2019 VAF Dues Paid!
Old 05-06-2019, 12:46 PM

Each FSDO is a bit different. I'm going off the advice of mine so want to comply with their proven practices. I'm no expert, so can't defend/argue either view!
N1017H Reserved
2019 VAF Dues Paid!
Old 05-06-2019, 12:53 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

I mounted mine between the cabin cover and the headliner.

Rv-10, N210LM.

Flying as of 12/4/2010

Phase 1 done, 2/4/2011

Sold after 240+ wonderful hours of flight.

"Flying the airplane is more important than radioing your plight to a person on the ground incapable of understanding or doing anything about it."
Old 05-06-2019, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by majuro15 View Post
Larry, interesting idea, I haven't thought of that. I'm running aircon up there, but could still fit it in. Does the cabin top interfere with signal at all? That's some pretty thick fiberglass and then will have carbon surrounding it. Are you getting good tests on it?
While not an expert, I am told that std fiberglass will pass signals with no degradation, regardless of thickness. A/C shouldn't matter, as long as you seal the plate against the bulkhead. My install is air tight. Carbon is only on the inside and you don't need the signal to pass into the cabin, only out of the cabin and no carbon to block that. I have not tested it yet. Numerous folks receive GPS signals through f/g cowls and parts.

Larry

Last edited by lr172 : 05-06-2019 at 01:26 PM.
Old 05-06-2019, 08:55 PM

Default Antenna interference

While mounting the antenna internally might make it a low-drag, and out of the way, the Artex installation instructions are pretty clear that it is to be installed vertically and with a minimum of 32Ē clearance from other antennas.

While inspectors may accept the installation, not installing it per the instructions violates the TSO and therefore not a legal or valid installation. Keep in mind that ELTís are one of the few components installed in experimental airplanes that require compliance with TSO installation and ongoing testing compliance.

- RV10, Build in progress.
- RV12, N975G, "The Commuter"
- Several others that are now just great memories for me.
Old 05-07-2019, 04:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rongawer View Post
While mounting the antenna internally might make it a low-drag, and out of the way, the Artex installation instructions are pretty clear that it is to be installed vertically and with a minimum of 32Ē clearance from other antennas.

While inspectors may accept the installation, not installing it per the instructions violates the TSO and therefore not a legal or valid installation. Keep in mind that ELTís are one of the few components installed in experimental airplanes that require compliance with TSO installation and ongoing testing compliance.

This is exactly why the DAR in my area wonít let me install it internally. He said that it needs to be installed per the instructions that come with the ELT.
RV10 - #41673
http://n688cd.wordpress.com
N688CD Reserved
Old 05-07-2019, 05:24 PM

Default ELT

If the DAR insists on it being mounted externally, then on the RV8 it would need to be mounted underneath. I donít think that the vertical stab or rudder would be acceptable due to the lack of required ground plane. I intend to mount mine between the front and rear seats on a suitable mount.with ground plane. I can mount it almost vertically with a tether to bend it clear of the canopy.

Bearing in mind that if the aircraft turns over during a forced landing, mounting it externally on top doesnít make a great deal of sense does it. If the aircraft remains upright, then presumably the pilot will be in a position to activate it himself, and can either open or jettison the canopy.