What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-4 landing gear

When your going to buy a rv4 does it make a difference on long gear or short gear. How can u tell by looking at a picture if it has long or short. Is there a preferred engine set up or size that is best. Is there a certain engine model to stay away from. Should the spar type make a difference whether it was factory built

Rv4 anding gear

Several things to consider; not the least of which is resale value. IMHO stay away from any engine that doesn't say Lycoming on the plate. Depending on what you want your aircraft to do for you. If you are performance oriented, bigger is better. Just sayin'.

Buying an RV-4

When your going to buy a rv4 does it make a difference on long gear or short gear. How can u tell by looking at a picture if it has long or short. Is there a preferred engine set up or size that is best. Is there a certain engine model to stay away from. Should the spar type make a difference whether it was factory built

Hi Stan,
I bought my RV-4 in June of this year. I shopped really carefully and developed a good understanding of what's out there and what was important, at least to me. I've pasted my Questions for Buyers sheet below in case you might find it helpful. Feel free to PM me with any questions you may have and good luck on your search. The -4 is a great airplane!

To your specific question about gear legs I'll say this. I'm sure there is a way to definitively determine if an airplane has long or short gear legs but I never found that necessary. You can just tell. Just look at a photo of a short gear plane and it is VERY obvious. And, you won't see too many out there with the short gear legs. Tall gear legs was one of my minimum requirements. For two reasons. First, I wanted the increased prop to ground clearance. Also, I read that it is difficult to execute a true three point landing in a short gear leg -4 without touching the tail wheel first. You supposedly can't generate enough angle of attack to put them all on the ground at the same time. I've never tried it of course but I will say that I've been very happy with the three point landings I can perform in my long gear leg airplane.

Selecting an engine and prop combination is a much harder question. A light -4 with an O-320 and a fixed pitch prop might be a nice airplane for some people. But, I knew in advance I wanted maximum performance and flexibility so I looked for and found a nice -4 with an 0-360 and a constant speed prop. The CS prop is especially nice for aerobatics and formation flying. You need to know your mission. If you want a low cost cross country airplane, an O-320 with a FP prop might be just fine. If you plan to operate in a wider range of conditions and max perform the airplane, get a higher performance engine/prop combination. I agree with 8 Ball on the engine type - Lycoming or a lycoming clone. One of the very few things I didn't get on my airplane that I wanted is a fuel injected engine. That and lack of an inverted oil system limits my ability to fly the full range of aerobatic maneuvers the airplane is capable of. That said, I do like the ease of starting and simple operation of my carb equipped motor!

As I understand it, Van's doesn't build spars but you can buy one already assembled by one of their business partners. That's what the guy that built my plane did. You can usually tell the pre-assembled version by the nice gold anodized color of the spar which you can easily see running across the floor of the front cockpit.

Unless you want to upgrade the avionics on your own, I'd place a high priority on a panel with an EFIS and quality EMS system. Also, consider what you'll need to do to get the airplane 2020 ADSB compliant.

Good luck!
Randy

Here's my shopping list:
RV-4 Criteria
? Minimum acceptable
◦ 180 or 160hp
◦ Pivot Throttle - not vernier
◦ Position lights
◦ Landing lights
◦ Heavy duty firewall weldments
◦ Pilot PTT
Long Gear Legs
◦ Wheel and Strut fairings
? Highly Desireable
◦ Attitude Gyro or EFIS
◦ Constant Speed or adjustable prop
? Nice to have
◦ Glass panel
◦ Wing to*Fuselage fairings
◦ Fastback canopy
◦ Upgraded (James) cowl
◦ Rear seat footwell
◦ Co-Pilot PTT switch
◦ Heated pitot tube / AOA
◦ Electric flaps and trim
◦ Todd?s Canopy

Questions for Sellers
? Aircraft History
RV Model:
Quick Build (QB) or Standard Build (SB):
Slider or Tip Up:
S/N:
IFR/VFR:
Why selling:
Total Time (hrs) on airframe:
First flight date:
Original Builder (y/n)?:
- If not, seller is currently owner #_____.
Empty Weight (lbs):
- CG (empty weight - inches from datum):
- date of last weighing:
Year painted:
- Painted by:
◦ Builder
◦ Owner(s)
◦ Damage
◦ Paint (by who, when, type)
- Storage type
- Currently flying?
- Any extended periods of non-use
- Empty Weight
- Significant modifications / rework since certified
- Flight maneuvers / regimes certified - copy of certification
? Engine History
- Engine Make/Model:
- HP:
- Total Time Since New (hrs):
- Time Since Overhauled (hrs):
- Ignition:
- Carb/FI:
- Exhaust system:
- Engine Purchased from:
- Engine Assembled by:
- Date of last compression check:
- - Cylinder #1:
- - Cylinder #2:
- - Cylinder #3:
- - Cylinder #4:
Other unique features FWF:
◦ Experimental / Certified components
◦ Manufacturers
◦ Engine Overhauled? *By who? When?
◦ Mags overhauled? *When?
◦ Engine records - email / photo
Prop:
- Make (FP or C/S):
- Model:
- Pitch:

Fuel Tanks
◦ Any leaks?
◦ Sloshed?
? Service Bulletin compliance
? Misc features
◦ Trims
◦ Engine weldaments
◦ elevator skin thickness
◦ conical or dyanafocal engine mount
◦ filtered air box or ram air
◦ sam james cowl, plenumn and wheel pants, or vans pressure recovery pants.*
◦ Tailwheel enhancements,*
◦ upgraded seats and harnesses*
◦ crack free and spotless canopy?*
◦ footwells for pax?*
◦ good pilot and pax heating and cool air flow
? Weight / Useful load
? Most recent Compliance Inspection
Maintained by?
? Squawks / known issues / last Conditional issues?
? Included accessories (covers, mounts, etc.)
? Build Log available?
? Availability for inspection / flight test
Past incidents/repairs/damage repair:
-
-
Service bulletins/Change notices that have been complied with:
-
-
Date last transponder / pitot static check:
ELT battery age and last test:
Flaps (manual / electric):
Rudder Trim (manual / electric):
Elevator Trim (manual / electric):
Aileron Trim (manual / electric):
Strobes Make/Model:
Landing Lights Make/Model:
Age of tires/tubes:
|
Avionics:
-
-
-
|
Interior:
Modifications:
-
-
Real World Cruise Figures:
- _______kts IAS at ________" of MAP spinning ________rpm while burning ______ gph.
- _______kts IAS at ________" of MAP spinning ________rpm while burning ______ gph.

Date aircraft last flown:
Willing to deliver: Y___ N___

Long Gear... and Vans does not build spars. They do have a source company. I'll bet MOST RV4's you will come across will have builder assembled spars.

Last edited:
A light -4 with an O-320 and a fixed pitch prop might be a nice airplane for some people.

A fixed pitch o-320 RV is still a very nice airplane. Obviously a 360+constant speed is higher performance, but I'd really hate to give the impression that a 320fp is a low performance dog; it is very much not. It is a wonderfully performing aircraft that will still fly circles around most other light aircraft, literally and figuratively. I'd recommend getting a little stick time in one, if possible, before ruling them out based on internet chatter.

All of that said, one day I'm sure I'll convert mine to constant speed. Because... more!

-jon, proud 320fp -6 owner whose airplane is not a dog :)

Buy what you think you want...but until you have flown a light 4 and a "heavy" 4 personally, I'm not sure one can easily appreciate the difference. Internet opinions only go so far.

Buy what you WANT first and foremost.

Phlogiston is the company that made/makes some spars for Vans. However, as Reiley said, the lion's share of -4 spars will we smashed together by the builder.

Regarding engine, I've flown 3 different -4's. 150HP O320 with wood prop, 160HP with Catto 2 blade, and 200HP O360 with Hartzell CS. They all have their "claim to fame", but I can tell you first hand, for me as a builder, that extra performance you get with a CS, is not enough difference to justify the added cost, complexity, and MX costs. Perhaps your pockets are deeper than mine. (That is highly likely) :D

Happy to chat more about -4's anytime you like if interested.

Cheers,

Gregg

I was on your quest about a year ago. I ended up with an older (first flew in '91) RV-4 so it probably has short gear. It also has a high hp IO-360 with CS prop. Short gear is not a problem. It will land either way no problem. I usually wheel land but if I slow it down a little it will 3 point.

Most of the time I putt around to conserve fuel but it is better to have it and not use it. CS prop is really nice but with the disadvantage of added maintenance cost. Even with a 0-320 and wood prop the RV-4 has plenty of get up and go.

my 2cents and it worth exactly what you paid for it.

long vs short gear: I have long gear on mine, my buddy has short gear on his. yes the long gear 3 points better, but mine still wants to land tail first.

props: my buddy has a 320 with fixed wood prop, i have a 360 CS: his plane is lighter, handles a bit better because of it, mine is no slouch, but lighter is better in a 4. now mine is pretty light for a 360/CS im at 995lbs. as for speed I get about 3 or 4 MPH on the top end over him. He does have a great prop. I get a s...load more climb than him. on a formation TO I need to pull it back quick to stay in formation. as previously noted a CS prop is better for formation work. the big difference in props is decent. with a FP 4 you have trouble slowing down and going down, they are slick. mine comes down like a manhole cover at idle.

engine size: as noted above not much faster, but climbs a lot quicker. is it worth the cost for a 360 vs a 320 ????? im in the camp that there is never to much HP, so i like the 360, but you pay a big premium for the 360 and C/S.

not mentioned yet, 320 with a C/S prop. pros, a bit lighter than a 360, bit cheaper. cons still 20 hp less. if i were building and buying a new engine, a 340 might be a good fit.

bottom line is they are all great airplanes, decide what fits your mission, and find one that get most of the things that you want.

bob burns

RV-4 N82RB

Legs etc.

Mine is an 0-360, FP, short legs. It does land tail first when 3 pointing but it?s not a big deal and I wheel land most of the time anyway. I?m not at all inclined to switch.

Cheers

I have a long gear -4 that I built, the long gear being the new standard in the finish kits at that time. I have worked on and flown several RV-4's in the past 10 plus years, and would not make the short gear a deal breaker in buying a flying aircraft. Some engine/prop set-ups may reduce the ground clearance, but over-all, the conversion to long gear may not be worth the cost if you find a plane that meets your criteria otherwise. Put a set of the pressure recovery pants on it (if not already equipped) and move on. There are a lot more shorts than longs on the market..just get one !

I have been flying my 4 for 23 years and never once I wished I had long gear legs. I have always wondered why you would want them because the ground visibility is excellent. I usually make wheel landings when flying solo and with a passenger and baggage, I make 3 point landings. When I am tail heavy, I do not flare but let the tail just set down at the same time as the mains. It has never been a problem and I have made direct cross wind landings of up to 30 knots.

My 4 sports a stock Superior parallel valve IO360 180 HP will do 226 MPH flat out at 500 feet MSL and I have never seen a 0320 even come close to that. I can climb at 1000 fpm at 10,000 feet loaded with my wife and baggage for a week. I flight plan at 175 knots and burn 7 GPH above 10,000 feet. I get 1000 fpm at 10,000 feet.
The CS prop is the only way to go. I can shoot an ILS approach at 160 knots and touch down on the numbers. The CS prop is like having a huge speed brake. It also helps with weight and balance fully loaded.

I do loops and rolls but usually use my plane for cross country flight. My wife always wants me to roll the plane when we go somewhere and I loop and roll with the grandkids. If I were big on aerobatics, I would probably have the smaller motor for weight with an inverted oil system or get a Pitts or something more designed for that type of flying.

I am not sure where some of you are getting your parts but building 4 with a 180 HP and a constant speed prop painted by a professional you’re looking at probably 5 years and 80K. I think you could build a RV-8 for a lot less than 160K even with the quick build option. You possibly could buy a 4 for half the price of an 8 because it would not be nearly as well equipped and a lot older. I talked to a guy one year at Oshkosh that built a 3, 4, 6, 7, 8 and a 10 and wished he had kept the 4. It’s a great plane.

Last edited:
Can a short legged 4 be easily converted to long legs

David

I just finished the long gear mod on my -4. I would not say it is easy, but not terribly complex. The biggest issue is you have to remove the engine. That is obviously a lengthy process with all the connections, hoses etc. the long gear legs require a new engine mount. Also there are new fairings and wheel pants that need extensive fiberglass work, then painting. I had an additional problem to correct. My original engine mount was slightly rotated (1/2”) that translated to 3” difference between wingtips that bugged me since I bought the plane. Overall, it took 4 months (about 2 days per week) and I still have the wheel pants to finish, but it is flyable.

Probably the quickest way to tell the difference if you are not very familiar with the -4 is the long gear legs use the pressure recovery wheel pants otherwise know as Dolly Parton wheel pants.

I have found the difference in flying qualities negligible for the most part. Yes you can’t do a true 3 point landing with the short gear, but a slight touch of the tail wheel first was never a huge issue for me. I do find the long gear better for wheel landings; my opinion only.

My recommendation is there are more important considerations, especially the engine as noted in other posts. Either way you will love it!

My short legged 1994 RV-4. I've changed quite a few things on the old Indian, but the short gear isn't on the list, nor will it be. It just isn't worth the $$ and effort.

Sensenich-prop-12-24-19-1-scaled-e1577334255295.jpg

Short vs long?

All,
I've been flying my 1996 short legged -4 for 6+ years. Never even considered the conversion to long gear.
My has a CS prop, 160 hp IO-Lycoming, and is light (933#, fast 193mph) and gives me 4 hrs of flight time.

My advice is find the plane that meets your mission, you'll be happier.
Glass panels and Dolly Parton pants can be added later, or better yet, customize it to "make it truly yours".

Buy it. Fly the daylights out of it.

Daddyman

I just finished the long gear mod on my -4. I would not say it is easy, but not terribly complex. The biggest issue is you have to remove the engine. That is obviously a lengthy process with all the connections, hoses etc. the long gear legs require a new engine mount. Also there are new fairings and wheel pants that need extensive fiberglass work, then painting. I had an additional problem to correct. My original engine mount was slightly rotated (1/2?) that translated to 3? difference between wingtips that bugged me since I bought the plane. Overall, it took 4 months (about 2 days per week) and I still have the wheel pants to finish, but it is flyable.

Probably the quickest way to tell the difference if you are not very familiar with the -4 is the long gear legs use the pressure recovery wheel pants otherwise know as Dolly Parton wheel pants.

I have found the difference in flying qualities negligible for the most part. Yes you can?t do a true 3 point landing with the short gear, but a slight touch of the tail wheel first was never a huge issue for me. I do find the long gear better for wheel landings; my opinion only.

My recommendation is there are more important considerations, especially the engine as noted in other posts. Either way you will love it!

not true about the wheel pants, I have the long gear, but the smaller wheel pants. the gear change came before the PR wheel pants.

bob burns
RV-4 N82RB

I have a 360 with the Hartzell cs. I find it handles best when there's a passenger in the back to bring the cg into a more neutral range, so if you usually fly alone the lighter up front the better. If you go look at one, take a -4 builder with you. He'll know where to look for gremlins.
The only thing I would remove from Randy Kings' list is don't ask why the aircraft is being sold. If it's for a personal reason the owner has to either divulge information that isn't your business or come up with a lie on the spot. Maybe I just like my privacy...

Short vs Long legs?

Any answers to the question about converting short to long legs on an RV4 (320 with CP prop)?

Thanks, Roger

Back