VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 06-26-2020, 12:09 AM

Default ELT antenna top skin stiffness

I am building an RV-7 slider and am planning on mounting my ACK ELT antenna on the top skin just aft of the F-707 bulkhead (i.e. a few inches aft of the end of the canopy slide track). The ACK antenna instructions say to install a 2 inch diameter doubler plate. I am worried that the skin there isn't very stiff, even with a doubler plate. The instructions say "13 lbs test force applied at base of antenna should cause no appreciable distortion of skin". My question is: what is the definition of "appreciable"? Anybody else mount their ELT antenna there and later have cracking or other issues?

Thanks for any advice!
Old 06-26-2020, 10:17 AM

I usually put in about a 5x5" .032 doubler and never had issues.
I've inspected other planes with no doubler, although I'd consider it being a bit light, didn't show any cracking.
My vote would be to install the doubler, to insure that 40 years from now, after avgas is a memory, there still would be no cracking there.
Old 06-26-2020, 03:53 PM

Default Just me

I installed a doubler there for my elt. The curvature makes it very strong. I chose to tie the doubler in to the bulkhead, but not sure if I needed to.

WARNING! Information presented in this post is my opinion. All users of info have sole responsibility for determining accuracy or suitability for their use.

Dues paid 2020, worth every penny

RV9A- Status:
Tail 98% done
Wings 98% done
Fuselage Kit 98% done
Finishing Kit 10% working canopy
Electrical 5%
Engine In Stock
www.pilotjohnsrv9.blogspot.com
Old 06-26-2020, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdRv7 View Post
I am building an RV-7 slider and am planning on mounting my ACK ELT antenna on the top skin just aft of the F-707 bulkhead (i.e. a few inches aft of the end of the canopy slide track). The ACK antenna instructions say to install a 2 inch diameter doubler plate. I am worried that the skin there isn't very stiff, even with a doubler plate. The instructions say "13 lbs test force applied at base of antenna should cause no appreciable distortion of skin". My question is what is the definition of "appreciable"? Anybody else mount their ELT antenna there and later have cracking or other issues? Thanks for any advice!
I like how you think... Larger douber would be good as suggested. ELT does not have too much drag. If you push on it with a few lbs of force near base. It should not move and skin should not have significant deflection.

Not sure what bay you will be in, how close you will be to a frame, but you will be adequate with a larger doubler. Try and screw closer to one of the frames than mid bay...

2020 Dues Paid
Old 06-26-2020, 08:04 PM

I am putting in the doubler. But I noticed that the skin still deflects some even with the doubler. Maybe I'll put in a larger one as you suggest.
Old 06-26-2020, 08:34 PM

Are you riveting the doubler onto the original skin or is it loose and captivated by the antenna mounting like a big washer?
Old 06-26-2020, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jliltd View Post
Are you riveting the doubler onto the original skin or is it loose and captivated by the antenna mounting like a big washer?
The doubler has 6 rivets. But it does seem small, just 2 inches diameter (per the mounting instructions from ACK).
Old 06-26-2020, 09:09 PM

I believe I would go with it.
Old 06-26-2020, 11:48 PM

This is what I did (Artec antenna). It seems very solid, and Iím not concerned about the doublerís strength.

Disclaimer: Airplane not flying yet.
Donated 12/16/2019
RV-7A (N12VD): Empennage and wing kits complete minus fiberglass, fuselage 90% complete. Canopy in progress. Engine and prop ordered.