What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Rv 4 back seat rudder peddles

Jetspud

How hard is it to add rudder peddles for the backseat on a rv 4 that is already built. Also how hard to add the throttle and mixture controls for the back seat guy

thanks
David

Depends on a couple things

I have a -4 that I built with no rear pedals or throttle, and I'm going to at least add the throttle for my wife who likes to fly, but not land or take off. I have seen a ton of variations on RV-4's I maintain, so depending on your intent to have them just for training, or long term will be the factor of ease and elegance. A simple set of bolt to the floor pedals connected via cable clamps can be installed in a couple hours if you don't have sidewall covers. There are also variations with all the mechanical linkage under the floor, requiring some significant surgery and possible re-organization of existing systems. For the throttle/mixture, depending on your quadrant location, usually a simple rod/clevis can be run through the side stiffeners with grommets to a push-pull knob for the backseater (non-elegant). A full second quadrant in the rear can also be rigged together via short teleflex or rod linkages. I personally, will be doing the small knob style. The RV-4 is very space limited, and I don't want a PAX getting all caught up in the monkey motion.

Pedaling fast as I can...

How hard is it to add rudder peddles for the backseat on a rv 4 that is already built. Also how hard to add the throttle and mixture controls for the back seat guy

thanks
David
Hey David,
Many years ago after reading an excellent article in the now defunct Van's RV8R newsletter, I installed the single best cockpit mod ever in my RV4, rear passenger foot-wells.
Now that back-seaters had a place for their heels, (water bottles, wallet, keys etc) I thought I would experiment with rear rudder pedals. Not that I encourage anyone to have a fully functional rear cockpit in a Four (weight, cost simplicity notwithstanding) however, the thought of small tabs attached to the rudder cables became a reality.
The RV8 rear rudder "Tabs" have been modified into a Four but I personally don't like them. Later, when I bought and rebuilt my Harmon Rocket II, (basically a slightly bigger Four) the rear rudder pedal (and throttle) idea returned.
So...
I stopped by the Home Depot aviation department and bought a pair of small cable clamps and a sheet of .040 aluminum. After drilling a couple of holes and some bending I had some usable small tabs you could dig into the soles of tennis shoes into and move the rudder.
I sat in the Rocket's "pit", placed them comfortably on the cables and tightened the clamps. Yessir, rear rudder control in a pinch, light, simple and cheap.
Like RV's used to be...

Voila, experimentation by definition...:)
V/R
Smokey

Last edited:
Pictures

Hi Smokeyray ....any pictures of the rear " rudder pedal " set up ??THANKS. Stew

Last edited:
David,

Flyboyaccesories makes a very simple easy to install rear seat pedals. I installed on my -4 and they work great. They fold down when you are solo and don’t interfere at all with the front seat. Here is the link:
https://www.flyboyaccessories.com/searchresults.asp?Search=Rudder+pedals&Submit=

As for the rear seat throttles, that is simple too. I just bought the standard throttle quadrant and removed the mixture control (makes the quadrant much narrower which gives more knee room for the RCP person. I riveted two angle aluminum pieces to the existing fuselage ribs (top and bottom) to mount the quadrant. Them I took a 1/4” round aluminum piece, put a clevis on both ends and to connect to the FCP throttle and the rear quadrant. So both throttles move in conjunction. If I could figure out how to post a picture on this forum, I would add some pictures of what I did. PM me with your email and I would be happy to send them.

Zem

Back