What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Fuel Pressure Fluctuations

ethand

Well Known Member
Looking for some feedback and direction from the brain trust regarding a fluctuating fuel pressure issue.

13 hours on my BPE IO-540 powered RV-10 and I am seeing fluctuations with my fuel pressure.

On the ground there are no issues. Take off and climb out, turn off boost pump and the pressure drops from mid to high 20;'s to mid teens then slowly climbs back up to low 20's. The pressure then continues to fluctuate from mid 20's to low teens and even at times into single digits. When I see those low numbers and turn on boost pump it returns to mid to high 20's. I did not notice this fluctuation in the first 5 or so hours, but it may have been there before I started focusing on it more recently

I talked to BPE and they did not believe it was the mechanical fuel pump as it would work or not. Thoughts?

The red cube is mounted in line between the output of the TB to the spider valve vertically between cylinders 3 and 5. Could that be an issue?

Next step is to fly over airport and watch the fuel flow as I would expect it to fluctuate with pressure and did not notice that previously. In addition, I will take a look at the lines to ensure nothing in them, but doubting that.

I did replace the Garmin sensor, no changes.

Do I have an early fuel pump failure, an issue with the red cube causing issues, something in the line or something I am not thinking of?

Thanks
E

Thanks Azonic75.

Good reading. Mine is similar in that I have not seen any performance changes even with low pressure. My redcube is on the pressure side and is fire-sleeved as a unit.

E

You should ask Dan Charrois who goes by ?charrois? here in VAF for his input. He struggled with this before he figured it out after much troubleshooting. He would have a lot good to say.

Back