What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Pitch servo installation

cofford

I'm installing my pitch servo and noticed that the AN470 rivets shown here interfere with the servo brackets:

of1.jpg

I've done a lot of searching and haven't seen this mentioned elsewhere, so am I missing something? A simple solution could be to drill out the AN470s, countersink, and install AN426s. What have others done here?

Thanks,
Casey

Not sure which servo you have but for the Dynon there was room on mine to put in 5 or 6 -4 rivets without getting into the bellcrank rib.

Garmin mount? The brackets should be aft of those rivets if I recall correctly.

>>>> oops wrong. Hey, I was at work! The bracket is over the brace rivets. I installed the top 470's (longer) through the brackets, rib, and brace.

Last edited:
I'm using a GRT mount. It looks like they are a bit longer than the Dynon mounts...Maybe trimming the mounts a bit is a better solution. Anyone have a picture showing the mount and the rivets in question?

Edit: the Dynon mounts look to be the same length in this photo:

FP11032012A0006T.jpg

To me, it looks like the pitch servo bracket would be sitting on the AN470 Bellcrank Rib rivets, which would require me to do something about it.

Last edited:
ah I see, yes replacing the 470s with 426 will work. I don’t think I used any of the small 470s in the build.

As promised, I checked out my build. Since I installed Dynon brackets, I figured I must have done like Wunderon said and just had them not overlap, but...nope, there's definite overlap:

MvDIIk9l.jpg

Looking at it edge-on, everything is clearly sitting flush here, as it should be:

rB3UhGdl.jpg

I can only assume that I countersunk for flush rivets in those four spots.

Servo brackets

Do you think that the AN 470 rivets go through the servo brackets? The picture does not show an auto pilot servo bracket installed. It only is showing the elevator bell crank brackets. An auto pilot is extra and not part of the plans.

Allan
RV 6A sold
RV 8A sold
RV 12 flying
RV 14A being built
2019 paid

2 servo attachments, forward one obscured

I see how the forward servo fastener fits if I was to make a stretch bracket.

But if staying with the standard 7.5" long bracket, I cannot see how the forward portion of the servo is secured. I assume the F-818B-L-1 is match drilled with the servo bracket that accomodates the fwd servo fastener.

Is there clearance beside the bellcrank for the head of a bolt/cap screw here or is it fastened another way?

I riveted the L-servo brackets as seen in the various pictures posted in this thread. I was concerned with the interference too but it wasn't the case. Some have said to use flush rivets. I used the standard dome head rivets and there was no interference.

There is no match hole in this case. You have to size up the mounting L-Brackets, screw in the elevator control arm, and clamp them down tightly before drilling. This is more of a "builder" step than the wing roll servo bracket.

Back