What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-10 Quick Build Wings Starting Point

Blizzard

Just received the QB Wings and completed the inventory. Reading through the plans and it looks like the plans for the QB pick up at section 19 Stall warning system. Is this correct or am I overlooking something? The wings are an area where "decisions" will start having to be made. Any gotchas or "I wish I had done this" comments are appreciated. Also the two small guide hole for the stall tab slot....what do you do with the same two holes on the other wing without the tab?? Thanks

Yes, section 19 sounds correct. I'd still encourage you to review the previous sections already done and make sure nothing was missed.
I came up with a list of what I found incorrect, or not done yet from previous sections here:
https://adamsrv10.wordpress.com/2017/02/20/wing-progress/

Others probably have similar lists..

I don't recall holes in the wing without the stall tab.. Guess I'd have to go look at my wings to recall for sure.

I believe you need to go through all the chapters to verify that nothing got missed, but yea I think the QB specific items begin at chapter 19.

Just received the QB Wings and completed the inventory. Reading through the plans and it looks like the plans for the QB pick up at section 19 Stall warning system. Is this correct or am I overlooking something? The wings are an area where "decisions" will start having to be made. Any gotchas or "I wish I had done this" comments are appreciated. Also the two small guide hole for the stall tab slot....what do you do with the same two holes on the other wing without the tab?? Thanks

I ended filling the holes in with micro and sanding them smooth, since I was going to use the Garmin AOA pitot tube. The stall warning would have been redundant and I wasn't thrilled about the hole in the leading edge.

Definitely start at the beginning of the wing build in the drawings to verify the Quick Build though. It will be good background for the subsequent steps.

Definitely start at the beginning of the wing build in the drawings to verify the Quick Build though. It will be good background for the subsequent steps.

This advice is correct and important for two reasons. When you go through the verification process...

1. You will understand and purposefully look at everything in the airplane you are building and will get the repairman's certificate for, and

2. You will have personally-verified and developed first-hand knowledge that everything is completed, verified and correct. In the end, you are going to be the one to sign your name that the airplane is ready to go, so you need to know first-hand that this is the case.

Yes, section 19 sounds correct. I'd still encourage you to review the previous sections already done and make sure nothing was missed.
I came up with a list of what I found incorrect, or not done yet from previous sections here:
https://adamsrv10.wordpress.com/2017/02/20/wing-progress/

Others probably have similar lists..

I don't recall holes in the wing without the stall tab.. Guess I'd have to go look at my wings to recall for sure.

This looks pretty dang close to what I found on my QB kit. Lots of individual decisions to be made here. I plan on filling my stall warning holes with flox.

Van’s had service bulletin SB 16-03-28 on the wings aileron bracket. I chose to install the new replacement brackets before closing the wing up.

I received my QB wings just a few weeks after the service bulletin came out on the aileron brackets. Van's had already installed the SB brackets on my QB wings just before shipping them. So if your wings were shipped from Van's in the past couple of years this SB should already have been implemented.

Regarding the holes in the leading edge for the stall warning sensor, the plans call for you to fill these with a rivet in the opposite wing. So if you are not using their stall warning system due to installation of a more modern AOA system, you will need to fill the holes in both wings. After consulting with Van's builder support, I reluctantly decided not to try to fill he holes with epoxy, but to remove the fuel tanks and install the rivets per the plans. Turned out to not be as difficult as I expected. Only took about 2 hrs per wing to remove the tank, install the rivets, and replace the tank.

Cheers,

Last edited:
Quick build wings

I finished my 7 slow build and am considering a 10 quick build so this thread is very interesting.

How is the fuel tank quality?

How is the flush rivet quality?

Did you cut holes for Duct Works landing lights?

What kind of fuel level indicator? Capacitance? BNC connector?

Are flop tubes an option?

Are AN fittings for fuel, vent and return lines well positioned?

Thanks for any info that is helpful in making decision to buy quick build wings or not.

One perspective

I finished my 7 slow build and am considering a 10 quick build so this thread is very interesting.

How is the fuel tank quality?

How is the flush rivet quality?

Did you cut holes for Duct Works landing lights?

What kind of fuel level indicator? Capacitance? BNC connector?

Are flop tubes an option?

Are AN fittings for fuel, vent and return lines well positioned?

Thanks for any info that is helpful in making decision to buy quick build wings or not.

I slow built my RV-10 fuselage and wings, but I did them with the assistance of Synergy Air (fuselage in Eugene, wings in Newnan). We compared the end result with several quick built fuselages and wings that were there.

Can’t speak to tank quality. Plenty of threads on VAF about QB tanks.

Overall construction quality of the QB’s is generally good. I believe we did better. Keep in mind I had highly skilled assistance and all riveting was done with two people. Quality was our foremost consideration and we did not rush.

Originally cut holes for Duckworks, then realized that the Van’s RV-14 landing light kit works also for the 10. I kept the Duckworks mounting brackets in the wings (with Baja Designs Squadron Pros) and used the larger RV-10/14 lenses. You could buy the Sunspot light kit from Van's and not do Duckworks at all. Mine is a hybrid.

I bought Princeton capacitance probes pre-bent for the RV-10 tanks. We also fitted the stock Stewart Warner float probes to each tank as a backup if the capacitance probes don’t work well. They are on a shelf just in case. The capacitance probes have three wires vs. one for the floats.

Flop tubes are not an option with QB tanks. The RV-10 is not aerobatic so I don’t understand why you would want them.

There is no return fitting on an RV-10 fuel tank, but the inboard tank rib (T-1003B) is essentially the same part on the RV-14 - which does have a return line. Since we slow built the tanks, I simply bought two extra VA-141 fuel flanges and installed them on the upper part of the tank rib in the same location as is on the RV-14. Needed the return line for electronic fuel injection. There are options out there that exist to have the same functionality with a QB tank, but this worked well for our SB tanks.

The cost to quick build the wings and fuselage at Synergy was considerably higher than if I had bought them from Van’s. I did it to allow some additional customization, have better control over the quality but primarily as a skill builder for me. Other than a few folks who didn't want to wait (lead times on early RV-14 QB kits were very long), most builders at Synergy opt for QB kits. We took 3 1/2 weeks on the fuselage and 3 weeks on the wings to build them to QB status. Working by yourself I expect would be much longer.

I was more time and quality focused than cost. Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Just started going over the wings comparing them to the plans. So far the build quality and workmanship seems to be excellent. Although the tanks are tested before shipping I will be testing them again after I have them off and once more after the wings are actually mounted the fuselage. After reading multiple posts and pros and cons..as of now planning on using the float style fuel quantity sender that are already in the tank. Since the -10 is not aerobatic I never even considered flop tubes. Zip Tips are in my construction plan so no holes have been cut in the wings. For me the time savings alone is worth the added cost of the QB wings and will be using QB fuselage as well. I'll be retiring from the airlines soon and would rather not still be building this thing till I'm too old to fly it!! LOL

Back