What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

trim cable friction on elevator travel

alpinelakespilot2000

Well Known Member
I finally got around to installing my manual trim cable through my elevator and onto my trim tab. Everything routed nicely, but I can very clearly feel the weight (and maybe slight friction) on the elevator through its range of travel (especially at the extremes) as a result of the stiffness of the trim cable.

I assume this is fairly normal? If not, is there anything I should be watching out for?

Thanks.

Steve,

Make sure that the trim cable isn't rubbing anywhere. It's been a couple of years but my elevators move freely up and down. You may notice the difference after attaching it but as long as it isn't binding and making it to both elevator stops you should be OK. I just installed an autopilot and it made a noticeable difference in friction.

I finally got around to installing my manual trim cable through my elevator and onto my trim tab. Everything routed nicely, but I can very clearly feel the weight (and maybe slight friction) on the elevator through its range of travel (especially at the extremes) as a result of the stiffness of the trim cable.

I assume this is fairly normal? If not, is there anything I should be watching out for?

Thanks.

Trim Cable resistance ...

I just strung my trim cable a few weeks ago. My elevator still travels up and down fine, but it's not as "free and easy" as before the trim cable was installed. Given the geometry of the setup, it seems to me there has to be some resistance offered by the trim cable ... the question is, how much is too much? Seems like one of those judgement calls to me.

The manual trim cable has some resistance to bending (its not as flexable as a fully cooked spaghetti noodle. This is the resistance being felt.
I have flow a lot of hours in RV's with electric and manual trim. I have not found the resistance in flight to be noticeable between one trim type and the other. My personal airplane has manual trim which is what I prefer.

Back