What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Alternator help

Jkkinz

Well Known Member
I am finishing up my engine wiring and ready to install the alternator. I have a InterAv 60 amp alternator that came with the overhauled engine. The alternator has 4 connections, battery, field, ground and "regulator". Does anyone know what the regulator post is used for. I have a BC regulator and there isn't a connection on the regulator for that lead. can that alternator be used with the B&C regulator or do I need to purchase a different alternator that will work with the B&C regulator.

Jim, I use an Interav alternator, have all their instructions and pretty much understand how they intend their stuff to work. The regulated post is connected to the alternator output via a 70 ohm resistor and intended to use with a Motorola regulator (actually referred to as a Motorola system).
My advice is to use a B&C regulator wired in a conventional manner per their instructions and connect nothing to the alternator regulated terminal. Also suspect it is actually a 55 amp alternator, I think they recommended the output to be wired through a 50 amp breaker.
Interav used to have instructions online, but they sold everything to someone in Florida. You can buy replacement brushes at the local starter/alternator automotive repair shop.

Dave,
I am aware the company was bought out and there was nothing useful I could find on the internet other than the wiring diagram. You saved me from having to buy another alternator.
Thanks
Jim

Back