What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

I just scored 83% on the Technician test

Ron Lee

Well Known Member
No studying. Just innate superior intelligence. :) I guess I will study more and take the real test soon in case I decide to try the APRS system.

Of course this was the unofficial online test.

No studying. Just innate superior intelligence. :) I guess I will study more and take the real test soon in case I decide to try the APRS system.

Of course this was the unofficial online test.

Innate superior intelligence is good!

Go on....take the exam......you know you want to try it........... ;)

Last edited:
Ham testing

Cool! With your test-memorizing skills, you should take a shot at the General class license too... you pay for the sitting, you can take all the tests for one flat rate. I passed my tech and general at the same time, but never took the code test required at the time for General class. Take the test!

Allen
VHS

That means his superior knowledge is gained from reading VAF posts. ;)

Congrats Ron, better study though. I don't like the 17% that you don't know that I might be flying someday.

Last edited:
Er?

Wow, they really must be just handing out licenses to any random guy these days!

Of course, I got my no-code Tech back in '94 when I was 14, I probably felt it was a lot harder than it actually was.

If 75% was not good enough it would not be the passing grade. Besides, I have not yet read anything on this test (not all questions) that is really relevant to using an APRS system. I may find something but not yet.

Besides...the 83% was taking the test cold. No studying. Just knowledge I already had or surmised correctly because I am GOOOOOD!

Not that hard

Most of us on this forum could probably pass the technician test cold. I've taken about 20 of the online test without any study and haven't failed one yet. The best I've done is 97.1%. Most of the questions have one obvious answer. Just chose the most conservative, the longest, all of the above or if you have no idea..."C". You won't be right every time but you will be right most of the time. BTW the most applicable in this question bank seems to be the longest answer. It all comes down to what you want. If all you want is a license to be legal, then go take the test and move on. I actually just bought a book because it is an interesting hobby and I see a lot of potential uses. I want to learn more. I'm going to take my test Thursday but I think I'm going to continue my education in amateur radio. You know they have satellites? Kinda cool in a geeky sort of way. Good Luck.

Got my General Class License this morning

Got my original Technician Class License back in 1972 when the code requirement was 5 words per minute and the written was the same one for the General Class. Let it expire so I retested this morning. Only had to take the Technician written and got grand-fathered in for a General Class License. Passed it so will be getting a new call sign. Old one was WB9KJW.

Should be fun playing around with APRS Tracking.

Steve Eberhart
RV-7A, trying to get it finished up, hopefully will be flying in a couple of months

Go ahead a learn the Morse Code too

Learn the code. It will help you when you have to identify a station. I had to do the 20 words a minute to get my Extra many moons ago. Makes a difference when you hear the sounds.

Webb
AD4AC
RV7A - N32WW

License upgraded

As of this morning, I have upgraded my Tech license to General. I studied by taking the E-ham practice test until I had it down. I did miss one question on the test ( they would not tell me which one) So you guys should have a walk in the park (or clouds) with a Tech license!

Allen
VHS

Another Tech

Passed the tech exam this morning with a 100%. Gotta love having the exact questions and answers to study!

Congrats Tanya!!

Scott was feeling a little guilty today in Brenham while you stayed in Austin and took the test--therefore to console himself he washed down a cheeseburger with a Blue Bell Malt---made him feel a lot better!!!!

Cheers,

db

Congrats Tanya!!

Scott was feeling a little guilty today in Brenham while you stayed in Austin and took the test--therefore to console himself he washed down a cheeseburger with a Blue Bell Malt---made him feel a lot better!!!!

No kiddin'. All of my guilt was washed away by that malt. Yum. Tanya sure does pull her weight in all of these crazy things that I get us in to. She's the best!

Tanya sure does pull her weight in all of these crazy things that I get us in to. She's the best!

Scott,

I think we both are very lucky in this regard--Janie supports most any of the hobbies in which I am involved!!

Cheers,

db

My test is Saturday (12 April). I did get a book on the subject but am not studying as well as I should. I will be embarrassed if I fail the Technician level test. I did take the on-line test a second time and did not fare as well hence the book purchase.

But if I do pass it I may take the General test as well.

I see that we have another overachiever in our midst. :)

Took the test this morning.

I arrived 20 minutes early. It took 30 minutes to even start the test. I was done in 10 minutes. Then waited 40 (FORTY) minutes to get the results. Grumble grumble

I passed (100%).

Passed Test

Ron,

Congratulations! Just remember that those people giving the tests are all volunteers ( and usually old enough to remember the Woodrow Wilson administration) so give them a break on their processing time! Were their many people there testing?

Allen
VHS

I arrived 20 minutes early. It took 30 minutes to even start the test. I was done in 10 minutes. Then waited 40 (FORTY) minutes to get the results. Grumble grumble

I passed (100%).

Congratulations Ron. When I took my test March 29th I arrived thirty minutes early and the test started right on time with twelve taking tests. I didn't do any studying but I did get my Technicians license back in 1972 when you had to pass a 5 wpm code test and the General written. Let it expire so I had to re-test and this time missed 5 questions. Not too bad for not having studied the material for 36 years :). Only had to take the Technician written but got a General class license because of having held a Technicians license back in the olden days.

Have a Micro-Track 300 ordered for my soon to be finished RV-7A. Should be a lot of fun playing with the APRS Tracking.

Steve Eberhart
RV-7A, Lycoming O-360-A1A, Catto 3 bld being delivered Monday
KC9NJC

15-20 people taking tests. I "assumed" that since I was the first or second finished that my test would be graded first. Apparently they wait until everyone is done.

I could have left and eaten breakfast.

They did grade each test as it was finished. Had my results within five minutes or so of finishing. Kind of weird that they waited that long to grade yours. I watched the three different examiners grade my test and watched them as they colored in the dots for the ones I missed. Knew as soon as the first one finished that I had passed.

Steve Eberhart

Volunteer Examiners (VEs) are given a lot of latitude in how they administer the test in terms of things like when to grade, etc. There are some rules about testing that must be followed, but many things are up to the people giving the test.

Plus, there's a lot of paperwork to fill out as a VE. :)

Passed the Technician test today, missed one question. Dumb luck. My wife said next time, pass the test first, then buy the gear!!... I came home and pulled the wingtip lens off and ran the wiring for the tracker. Should be tracking by next week! It might help me find my sika'd canopy if it comes off...
I'll install Ryan Howell's antenna tomorrow (it's a nice one) and run the switch wiring, so all I'll have to do is setup the transmitter. I'm also gonna set up a computer as an i-gate. Thanks to everyone for all the help.

I Passed Mine

After reading Pete Howell's posts on APRS I decided I should pursue my amateur radio license so I could install it in my RV7. I used to have a Novice license about 25 years ago, but never went further (mainly due to the morse code requirements). Well, I studied a little and took the practice exams on QRZ.COM and after about a month decided to go take the tests from our local volunteer examiners. I took the Technician test and passed that, then the General class test and passed that, so I took the Extra class test and passed that too (I only missed one question, which I had changed from the correct answer:() -- all in one session. Needless to say, this all revived an interest in Ham Radio that I had for some time. It's bad enough when my RV hobby interferes with work, but when hobbies interfere with each other you've got to draw the line somewhere:rolleyes:.

AC0LG

This APRS thing is a fine idea, and thanks to Pete for getting us all involved. I got my basic+honours license a few weeks ago, after attending a local course. I slept through the technical stuff, but abbreviations and regulations took some work.

I mounted a Microtrak 300 on the seat back brace, with a small whip antenna, slightly bent. I am getting good coverage. Today, I did a formation flight at 1000 agl for most of the time, and the coverage was excellent with my set up.

I'm anxious to try some long x-c to see what happens.

Click on my tracking link to see it.

I passed the Technician Class license last night.. only missed one question. I did spring for the ARRL Ham Radio License book, which I read. Now just waiting for my name to show up in the database so I can get my call-sign.

In addition to the Micro-Trak on the airplane, I'm setting up an iGate on an old PC. On the surface it isn't entirely obvious on how to get it setup but once you work through it, it is pretty easy. I'll document it once I finish.

I passed the Technician Class license last night.. only missed one question. I did spring for the ARRL Ham Radio License book, which I read. Now just waiting for my name to show up in the database so I can get my call-sign.

In addition to the Micro-Trak on the airplane, I'm setting up an iGate on an old PC. On the surface it isn't entirely obvious on how to get it setup but once you work through it, it is pretty easy. I'll document it once I finish.

Congratulations on the Tech license, Matthew!

We look forward to your doc on the iGate config. Your statement of "On the surface it isn't entirely obvious on how to get it setup" is the best understatement of the day. :D

Back