What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

ADAHRS in Wing

DaveO

Well Known Member
It is my understanding that the ADAHRS installs in the wing. I would like for those who has done this installment, to tell me how you like the arrangement? What is your opinion?

The reason I ask; in my 7A, the ADAHRS was installed just behind the baggage compartment. There was not a long run, from the static port, there was little electrical connection length. It seems to be just right. Why I wonder did Van's deviate?

It seems to me this application is not an advantage. I am not there as of yet, I am trying to think ahead as to the advantages or disadvantages. Please consider responding.
Thanks

I'll follow along because I'm also debating the same thing. The left wing location may minimize plumbing because I will have an AOA line from the pitot mast terminating at the ADAHRS. The pitot and static lines will go to the panel for a standby instrument.

I do wonder where people put a second ADAHRS if they go that route. Right next to the primary one or somewhere else?

I'll follow along because I'm also debating the same thing. The left wing location may minimize plumbing because I will have an AOA line from the pitot mast terminating at the ADAHRS. The pitot and static lines will go to the panel for a standby instrument.

I do wonder where people put a second ADAHRS if they go that route. Right next to the primary one or somewhere else?

I did a full SkyView install in an RV-14A, dual ADAHRS modules. While I was skeptical of the wing mount, I did it anyway. Getting the simple ADAHRS doubler plate from Dynon allows for one module to be mounted on top of the other. This worked out well. The plane has been flying or a couple of years and no issue with this setup. For the RV-14/14A I recommend it.

For other models that do not have this nifty little bracket as part of the wing build, stay with the standard behind the cockpit locations.

Carl

The ADAHRS would mount in the wing if you have a Dynon setup. If you are going Garmin, the magnetometer would go in the kit wing mount and the ADAHRS somewhere else, typically attached to the back of a screen. the kit wiring is there to accommodate either setup in the wing.

The ADAHRS would mount in the wing if you have a Dynon setup. If you are going Garmin, the magnetometer would go in the kit wing mount and the ADAHRS somewhere else, typically attached to the back of a screen. the kit wiring is there to accommodate either setup in the wing.

I don't have my copy of the plans with me this weekend. But for some reason I thought that there was a designated ADAHRS mount in the left wing and a magnetometer mount in the right wing.

I don't have my copy of the plans with me this weekend. But for some reason I thought that there was a designated ADAHRS mount in the left wing and a magnetometer mount in the right wing.

The mount in the left wing fits either the Dynon ADHRS or the Garmin magnetometer, they both have mounts so they slide into the bracket and the kit wiring in the left wing has wires for both options. Right wing has the optional aileron trim motor mounted to the inboard inspection plate.

I?m not sure it was necessary but I mounted my Garmin magnetometer in the right wing tip. ADAHRS on the back of PFD.

Greetings.

Since I went with GRT avionics, the kit wasn't provisioned for my selection.

I placed my magnetometer in the tail:

And my AHRS was placed on the firewall on the aft side with a bracket that I designed after doing some real simple trigonometry to make sure it was properly aligned to the longitudinal axis of the airframe.

Back