What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tailcone top side skin edge break

Bsquared

Well Known Member
I figure most of the tech support is at Oshkosh so asking this esteemed group. Section 10 pg 30.....I am ready to dimple the top side skins. The plans do not call for the edge to be broken for a lap joint where the top skin overlaps the lower skin on the longeron. Edge break or not, that is the question.

From section 5.10...

"When riveting a lap joint, the expansion of the aluminum caused by the setting pressure and the expansion of the rivet causes the overhanging edge of the sheet to bend upwards slightly. This creates a number of problems, like making the lap joint appear wider than it is, making painting more difficult, etc. One easy method of minimizing this effect is by pre-bending the last 1/4 inch of the skin downward just a small amount before it is clecoed and riveted. When the rivets are driven, the skin will be flattened and the pre-set in the skin edge will tend to hold it flush. Except for very rare circumstances, the amount of bend (break) is very small and when done properly is almost undetectable with your eye. The goal is to do just enough to keep the skin lying flat but not too much or it will be obvious that it was done."

Thanks. I asked the question because up until now, and including the previous page for the top skin, the plans have reminded you to break the Lap edges. Seemed odd that they did not call it out here. I agree that the guidance in section 5 applies.

As your confidence in the process develops, you'll find yourself asking fewer questions.

But it's okay, and good, to ask questions anytime you're uncertain. Keep asking.

Back