What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

IO-390 2/3 Blade Fixed Pitch

dodge427

I'm New Here
Hi All

Does anybody know the logistics/availability of a 3 (preferred) or 2 Blade Fixed Pitch propeller for the IO-390 installed in RV-14?

I'd like to stay away from variable pitch and the associated components/complexity.

Thanks

Dan

I asked Van's about this a while back. They stated there will be no fixed pitch option for the RV-14a, with only this explanation: "the wide speed range argues for a constant speed prop."

The issue may be that the RV-14A is so overpowered compared to most spam cans one can think of, that one has to consider the possibility with fixed pitch prop of trouble slowing down on approach even with the throttle at idle.

I reluctantly concluded that, for me anyway, building what Van's designed is probably the preferable, albeit expensive, way to go, should I win the lottery.

-Paragon
Cincinnati, OH

Thanks Paragon for the informative response, I presumed this question must have been asked of Vans before, thanks again.

Craig Catto

I'd talk to Craig Catto. He has forgotten more than most will ever know about FP props.

I asked Van's about this a while back. They stated there will be no fixed pitch option for the RV-14a, with only this explanation: "the wide speed range argues for a constant speed prop."

That doesn't make any sense. The RV-7 and RV-8, for example, have a wider speed range than the -14 yet have fixed pitch numbers quoted.

When I asked (in some other thread you may be able to find, th eone on RV-14 engine choices I think ...), the issue of CG was brought up as a potential challenge to putting a lighter FP prop on the nose, which would be especially true of a 2 blade ... you might be able to work around a 3 blade however ...

Thanks Mike for the welcome. And thanks to everyone else for the input. I had almost convinced myself that CS was going to be the only option. However It now looks like there might be a good 3 blade FP option. Its early days but will post details when they become available.

Cheers

As already hinted at, a fixed pitch prop to handle the power would not be the problem. The weight of the prop and the C.G. problems it would cause, would be. A three blade would be heavier than a two blade but still way lighter than a constant speed.

Back