What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Buying an Avidyne IFD540/440

Dan Langhout

Well Known Member
For those of you who bought an Avidyne IFD540/440, where did you buy it? Did it come with the tray/installation kit or was that separate? Did anybody take advantage of the GNS-430(W)/530(W) trade in stuff? If you did, how did that work? Would you do it again the same way?

Thanks!

Yes the tray is included however, like all? IFR units, the Gps antenna is not. the manual has a list of which other manufacturers antennas can be used as well. You existing one could be eligible.
As for the great 'trade in' deal - I don't know how many have done that, I just replaced my GX60 with the IFD440.
BTW - the free APPs are great & by using iPad the 440 can be displayed on a much bigger screen, more cost effective for some this way ;)

just did the trade in

I just did the trade in of my 430W for an IFD440 in early December. I did it directly with Avidyne, email me and I can give you contact info if you want ([email protected]).

Would I do it again, Absolutely!!

I going to fly right now with my new avidyne and play with all these neat features.

I just did the trade as well. Sent my 430W to Stein and he sent me a new Avidyne 440 using the existing 430 tray and backplate. Just remember to take a picture of the setting/configure page of your existing 430 to transfer that info to your new Avidyne (which I forgot to do!). I do like this Avidyne unit so far.

For those of you who bought an Avidyne IFD540/440, where did you buy it? Did it come with the tray/installation kit or was that separate? Did anybody take advantage of the GNS-430(W)/530(W) trade in stuff? If you did, how did that work? Would you do it again the same way?

I bought my IFD540 from Stein (actually Christer - I didn't see Stein there when I picked it up). The installation kit was extra since it was a new install; if you are replacing a 430/530 you wouldn't need it.

I'd totally do it the same way again.

I sold my 430w on eBay and got $1000 more than Avidyne trade in quote and purchased my 440 from Advanced Flight Systems with my settings all set up.
Avidyne avertises plug and play but if you have have a 12v system you need to have the circuit breakers for the comm 10 amps and for the gps 7.5 amps
so I had to upgrade those. It needs more power than the 430.
I.m very satisfied with it.

Alan
N668G RV10

Looking at this also, right now my best qoute is $4500 + my trade. My question, do I really want to spend another $850 for the BT option? What do you get for that money besides zapping a flight plan from your iPad over to the Navigator? And can it be added later?
Tnx, Tim Andres

IMHO, Yes and Yes

Looking at this also, right now my best qoute is $4500 + my trade. My question, do I really want to spend another $850 for the BT option? What do you get for that money besides zapping a flight plan from your iPad over to the Navigator? And can it be added later?
Tnx, Tim Andres

With BT and WiFi, you can also use the IFD100 iPad app to control all aspects of the IFD440 - with a larger screen to boot. It is my understanding that all IFD's have the BT/WiFi hardware. The $850 option is to enable the hardware via a software key of some sort (believe it is tied to your N-number). Should be able to add any time you want - but you should probably check with Avidyne.

Anybody have the install manual of the ifd440? . IFD with Echo uat?

Is anybody have or found a pdf vesion of the ifd440 install manual.
I just sent my 430w for the trade in program with the 440. I will probably receive it in 2 week but want to check some things in the install manual.

I want to install the Echo uat and want to know how to connect it with my IFD\GRT HX\echo uat\gtx 327.

Do i have any wire to connect between the ifd and the GRT hx or the info from the IFD is all give to the echo uat by the GRT?

Thank You

Lan Vinh Do

Will send you one.

Is anybody have or found a pdf vesion of the ifd440 install manual.
I just sent my 430w for the trade in program with the 440. I will probably receive it in 2 week but want to check some things in the install manual.

I want to install the Echo uat and want to know how to connect it with my IFD\GRT HX\echo uat\gtx 327.

Do i have any wire to connect between the ifd and the GRT hx or the info from the IFD is all give to the echo uat by the GRT?

Thank You

Lan Vinh Do

PM me your E-mail and I will send you one.

Monitor function on IFDx40s

Like the SL30/40, the IFDs have a standby monitor output, but it is on a separate output so you have to wire hi/lo out to an extra input on your audio panel or intercom. Because it does not share the wire it is a clean standby audio signal and is worth putting in when you install.

Stand-by audio

I will take note of that. I almost sold the plane last time I had to go behind or 430 :D

Last edited:
Echo hat install

LAN, if you are adding an EchoUAT to your 440, you need a wire from an unused serial port, that port needs to be configured to ADSB+, and connected to EchoUAT. Then connect another wire from EchoUAT to unused serial port on GRT and configure it. Use Echo APP on tablet to configure the EchoUAT and you are good to go. Sometime ago I made a post with a block diagram showing wiring and the configuration screen on the tablet. Check it out.

http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?p=1180717#post1180717

Last edited:
Thank you

Thank you Dan, Tom and ?Allthumbs? for you help.
The 440 is on it?s way and the echo is ordered.
Fortunately, last time i went behind the 430w for the connector, i said to myself never again and i put some wires from the 430 to a remote connector with rs232, arinc and other potential futur connection.

I also have one on order, Avidyne upgraded me to free BT also if I got it in my month end.
Lan, if your going to add a wire for the comm monitor channel you may as well ad another for the audio alerts. I believe this will be between pins 52 & 53 (HI & LO respectively) of P1001 and either a switched or unswitched input on your audio panel as you choose. I?m going to use unswitched on mine, looks like the volume is easily controlled in the IFD menus anyway.
Tim Andres

Im wondering about feeding ADSB info from the Echo UAT to the IFD440, do I need to for one thing, I have traffic and weather on the EFIS and WingX ap.
Can I feed ADSB (GDL90) via BT or WiFi to the Avidyne or can I daisy chain serial over from my GRT EFIS? Will the IFD ap receive the ADSB info from the Echo?
Lots of questions.
Thanks, Tim Andres

no go

The Avidyne 440 will not recognize the Echo UAT serial data stream. And the display is too small to be useful anyhow.

Anyone using the IFD440 with the Echo yet? I had good reports prior with the 430W, now I’ve got a red box under NACv and mode 3A. I have the 440 serial out configured for “ADSB+G”, that was the closest choice to the called for “ADSB+“ Everything else looks good and appears to work well.
Ideas appreciated
Tim Andres

Last edited:
Back