What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

GTX-23 mounting

ka6dan

Well Known Member
Now working on installation of my Garmin system. First question, of what I expect to be numerous. Where and how did you mount the GTX-23 transponder? I'm thinking behind the baggage compartment wall. The question is how. It's heavy and it looks like a vertical instal could be preferable.

Thanks for any help

Mike

Thanks for your input. I pulled the right floor off for consideration of that location. My only concern is heat. There's a fixture for forced air to the 23. Not sure if air supply is required.

I added your page to my bookmarks.:)

Thanks again

Dan

Another Pict for you

I put mine (7) front and center. The two alodined beams hold the GTX23 and the GSU 73. Both pieces are made to be removed from below. The 23 slides out without any trouble. Not sayin' it is better, just a different option.

I did it this way to help my W&B. Happy wiring!

IMG_0758.JPG

I'll try to explain my solution, but don't have a picture handy. If you're interested, let me know and I can probably get one this weekend.

RV6, tipup...

I took the tray and mounted the front, open end of it to the flange on the bottom of the subpanel, co-pilot side. I built a simple triangular brace that I riveted to the stringer that goes from the subpanel to the firewall. The brace extends below the stringer, aligned with the back of the tray, which it attaches to. The transponder is out of sight and far enough forward so that it doesn't get in the way, but is just low enough (and slightly angled) so that it will clear the bottom of my panel to slide it out of the tray if required. It is also forward CG in that position, and the wire runs are easy. Behind the baggage bulkhead is well aft CG (good or bad, depending what you need) and the wire runs get harder.

... There's a fixture for forced air to the 23. Not sure if air supply is required. ..

The connector casting has a provision for a hose, but there is no mating hole in the transponder, so any air forced in there wouldn't go anywhere.

And in my -6, I mounted mine behind the baggage bulkhead mainly attached to the main rib going down the center which supports the elevator bellcrank, laying flat. And then a simple stiffener angle mounted to the 1st J-stringer outboard of the main rib on the bottom.

Heinrich

Last edited:
From the GTX 23 Installation Manual:

"Cooling air is generally not required. However, if the unit is located in a confined space or near a source of heat, cooling air is recommended for maximizing the life of the GTX 23. A 5/8 inch air fitting is provided on the rear of the backplate for the purpose of admitting cooling air. If a form of forced air cooling is installed, make certain that rainwater or condensation cannot enter and be sprayed on the equipment."

I mounted mine at the bottom of my radio stack, oriented sideways, and had an extra cooling duct so I connected it to the back of the unit. I noticed that the unit runs considerably cooler when I have the fan on.

Back