What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Where to get taildragger endorsement in So Cal.

The_Huth

I'm New Here
I'm looking for a cost effective way to get a tail dragger endorsement in Southern California. When I build a Vans I want to configure it as a tail dragger, and figured I may as well get that requirement out of the way. I live in Santa Ana, and am close to Long Beach as well as Santa Ana. It looks like Sunrise in Santa Ana offers it. But does anyone know of or recommend any other place. I dont mind driving a ways to get it done.

I'm out at Cable in Upland, and the Foothill Flying Club there has a Sport Cub that rents for $124/hr wet. I'm sure it would be much cheaper to do it there instead of Sunrise...at John Wayne it's about a mile from where the plane is parked to 20L, and all that Hobbs time in taxi adds up!

CP Aviation at KSZP has a fleet of taildraggers. Citabria is $104/hr and instructors are $60/hr.

Flabob

In Riverside is Flabob airport where a number of taildragger types exist. I?m rebuilding a Marquart Charger, a tube and fabric biplane designed by Ed Marquart at Flabob. I?ve never been there and I have no idea how far it is from Santa Ana but you might look into it. It?s sort of a home built aircraft Mecca

I've heard people recommend Mickey Holton at Torrance (310-325 6169) with his green Citabria.

No personal experience with him, but used to see it flying regularly when I was based at Hawthorne.

I've heard people recommend Mickey Holton at Torrance (310-325 6169) with his green Citabria.

No personal experience with him, but used to see it flying regularly when I was based at Hawthorne.

I got my Private with Mickey in his Citabria, N86813, as did Skylor here on VAF. Definitely a good stick-and-rudder pilot+instructor.

Back