What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

A case of the Monday's

BruceEicher

Well Known Member
Really not a bad day for a flight up to Arlington Monday. Mt Rainier, notice the white smoke blanket East. Further North over the range we could see a cloud resembling an atomic bomb mushroom. I suspect it was the Okanogan or Chelan fire.
2aag5yg.jpg

Parking next to some war heroes, not too bad either.
9083gj.jpg

Scott and I were fitted for parachutes.
14ju89w.jpg

And then I had an idea, seemed good at the time...
amcyhe.jpg

What do you think happens here next? (For the whole story you might just have to buy the magazine.)
2q9i6c6.jpg

Return trip home, Mt Adams on right edge of pic. Notice smoke to the top of the 12,000' mountain.
2m5xkeq.jpg

Observing the smoke patterns and flying in Northern Oregon, East and central Washington the past two weekends has confirmed the predictions of this Canadian service so far.
a4ynpv.jpg

Observing the smoke patterns and flying in Northern Oregon, East and central Washington the past two weekends has confirmed the predictions of this Canadian service so far.
a4ynpv.jpg

I can confirm that the smoke from the Okanagan fires has decided to take up residence over Calgary. Quick check of CYBW yesterday had it IFR with 1sm vis, and the sun was blood red all day. Supposed to be here all week and maybe clear for the weekend.

same here, smoke'n like crayzee

correction, those are the OkanOgan fires.......we in the OkanAgan ( north) are getting a bit less smoke than WOXOF, but the valley is also below VFR most of the time ( unless you are in a floatplane, and avoid the sailboats!)
IFR still getting in and out of YLW.

...but due to the current exchange rate, shouldn't we be getting only 75% of the smoke from south of the border?????? :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Your wheel pants paint job

Hi Bruce, Couldn't help noticing the silver shine on your wheel pants and your rudder. How did you do it on your wheel pants? I had heard about a shiny silver paint when I got my 8 painted, but the painters knew nothing about it. Is that what's on "your" wheel pants? How about your fuselage? Is it polished aluminum, or paint?:)

Mr. Mustang is unhappy?
No,
Hint: That's Jimmy with Softie Parachutes...

Hi Bruce, Couldn't help noticing the silver shine on your wheel pants and your rudder. How did you do it on your wheel pants? I had heard about a shiny silver paint when I got my 8 painted, but the painters knew nothing about it. Is that what's on "your" wheel pants? How about your fuselage? Is it polished aluminum, or paint?:)

Vinyl wrap, Avery chrome on pants and fairings, (fiberglass parts) then polished aluminum on the aluminum parts. Solar flares give me five to ten more kts. :D

No,
Hint: That's Jimmy with Softie Parachutes...

Vinyl wrap, Avery chrome on pants and fairings, (fiberglass parts) then polished aluminum on the aluminum parts. Solar flares give me five to ten more kts. :D

OK, I gotta ask----What is Avery chrome---or is that the color of Vinyl wrap you used.

I can confirm that the smoke from the Okanagan fires has decided to take up residence over Calgary. Quick check of CYBW yesterday had it IFR with 1sm vis, and the sun was blood red all day. Supposed to be here all week and maybe clear for the weekend.

We've had thick smoke from the Pacific Northwest and Canadian fires all the way down here in Denver for the past week. Finally blew out of here overnight as a southwesterly flow settled in.

Back