What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

UK radios??

N333M

I am starting to see alot of Com radios for sale from europe, with the mandated change on frequency spacing over there. Some pretty good deals. Anybody know if there is any reason those radios wont work well in the USA..I mean, I am kinda dense on the subject..but do they use the same coms frequencies over there we use here? Thinking of upgrading to one..

Radios

Frequencies are the same. I have also wondered why so many of those are showing up. The European radios have been popular in gliders in the US but don't seem to be popular in EAB in the US.

Good deals

I am starting to see alot of Com radios for sale from europe, with the mandated change on frequency spacing over there. Some pretty good deals. Anybody know if there is any reason those radios wont work well in the USA..I mean, I am kinda dense on the subject..but do they use the same coms frequencies over there we use here? Thinking of upgrading to one..

A friend just got a smoking deal on a KY-97A comm as a second readio for his -6A. It was listed on Ebay.

It was just under $400 inc. shipping from the UK and came out of a Scottish based C-120.

As you said, the mandated change to 8.33 KHz spacing has collapsed the used prices of older, but good, comm radios over there.

I believe most of the newer comm radios are now made so that the frequency spacing (and associated stability/bandwidth specs) is selectable for EU or US use upon installation.

Last edited:
Frequencies are the same. I have also wondered why so many of those are showing up. The European radios have been popular in gliders in the US but don't seem to be popular in EAB in the US.

No the frequencies are not always the same.

This note is in the new Garmin GTN750 Brochure -

VHF comm transceiver: 8.33 or 25 kHz channel spacing

http://www8.garmin.com/aviation/pdfs/GTN_series_brochure.pdf

AFAIK the US has no plans to go to the closer 8.33 kHz channel spacing announced for use in the EU.

Radios

Guys

Europe has mandated 8.33 kHz radios and we now have less than a year to comply hence the spike in used radios.
Being a very slow builder I too have been caught out having bought a new kx125 from gulf coast avionics a few years ago I have not even got it installed and have to replace it so if any one is intrested in a never used or even powered up kx125 with install kit feel free to contact me.

Mark

Back