What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Looking for info on Mark Landoll starter

Jbon

The starter solenoid on my circa 1998 Mark Landoll starter has gone south. Mark's number is not working, so I assume he's closed up shop. Does anyone know the exact make and model of this starter, or what automobile it was used on? I'm hoping to pickup a replacement solenoid at my local auto parts supply.
Thanks!

Mark is no longer building any components for sale although he is very much still around. He is a member of our EAA chapter and regularly attends our meetings. Do not quote me on the starter but I do believe he used Nissan starters. If you are interested I can attempt to contact Mark and ask him if he has any advice on rebuilding the starter or what solenoid was used. Let me know if that is of interest and I will see what I can do to talk with him. Or, if you feel so inclined to come visit our chapter meeting you could come up on the second Saturday of the month (July 8th is the next meeting) and visit with him in person. If you do decide to come up for the July meeting note it is a pancake breakfast meeting at 8:30 am on Saturday, July 8.

Steve,

Thank you very much for trying to obtain this information. I'd very much like to learn the model number of the starter, or some sort of cross reference to a particular auto it was used on. The motor turns fine, but the solenoid failed after attempting to restart a hot engine. After things cooled down, it worked fine. Today, I pulled the solenoid, cleaned it up and reinstalled, but I think I'd feel better just replacing it.

I'd also be curious what this unit weighs. I thought about replacing the whole starter with a SkyTec to shed some weight, but frankly, this unit doesn't look that heavy.

Thanks again for your help!

John

John,
I talked with Mark this morning. He confirmed his starters were Datsun starters. If you know any auto history Datsun later changed to Nisan. He told me the solenoid was just a standard aircraft starter solenoid. They were not anything unique to the Nisan starter. You should be able to find them anywhere. I would imagine the solenoid Vans sells would work just fine.

If you have problems getting everything back in shape with your existing starter you might want to consider installing a new starter. Since Mark sourced his starters from auto salvage yards back in the day, you might be well served to install a new SkyTec or some other new starter.

Good luck with whatever you end up doing.

I happen to have the paperwork that mark sent out with them in my grubby hands. It is from a Datsun 280z or maxima 810 1978 thru 1983 part number 8114 A, B, or D. Does that help?

It also states if you have the 149 tooth ring a different pinion gear in the starter.
Bob burns
Rv-4 N82RB

Last edited:
I'd also be curious what this unit weighs. I thought about replacing the whole starter with a SkyTec to shed some weight, but frankly, this unit doesn't look that heavy.
I forgot to post Mark's reply to this question. He did not give a specific value on the weight of his starters but he did say his starter weighed about 7 lbs less than a standard aircraft starter of the day. Not sure how that compares to the SkyTec or other experimental starters. My guess is they could be relatively close in weight.

Thanks everyone for tracking down this information. RVbySDI, I'm a little confused about his comment re the solenoid. I'm talking about the built-in solenoid that is piggy-backed on the starter itself. It is part of the starter. I wasn't aware of any separate solenoid, or at least I can't find one.

I am considering going to a Skytec, and was hoping to save some weight, but I agree that a SkyTec is probably about the same as what I have now.

Thanks everyone for tracking down this information. RVbySDI, I'm a little confused about his comment re the solenoid. I'm talking about the built-in solenoid that is piggy-backed on the starter itself. It is part of the starter. I wasn't aware of any separate solenoid, or at least I can't find one.

I am considering going to a Skytec, and was hoping to save some weight, but I agree that a SkyTec is probably about the same as what I have now.
I am sure a SkyTec would serve your needs. I have one and have had no problems with it in 7 years. Good luck.

Mark Lyndoll starter

Starter for 0-360 149 tooth w/Mark Lyndoll conversion is 1983 Nissan Maxima
O'Reilly # 16584 with Napa # 548141 drive. The drive is (9 teeth) from a 1986 Volvo. You must use this drive because it is the correct pitch for the teeth on the flywheel. Mine has been on my plane for 22 years and around 700 hrs.

Back