What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

NEW Ipad Pro 10.5 -vs- Ipad Pro 9.7

jeffsvan

Well Known Member
Thinking I can save a few dollars $ by purchasing the pro 9.7

Looks like the NEW 10.5 will have a 10x processor vs the 9x in the 9.7
Looks like it can run a new(er) OS ? Can they both?

They both have the anti reflective coating. I assume they both offer about the same amount of screen glare?

Can someone chime in with detailed specs that they understand?

I will be using this to surf the web, run Garmin App, and not much else.
I would be buying the WiFi only unit.

Brightness said to be improved on 10.5.
I have just looked at reviews and it seems the iPad Pro 9.7 is 500nits (Apple figure), vs the 10.5 said to be 600nits (Apple figure).

Last edited:
Since we're talking Ipads ...

I'm thinking of upgrading to one of the new 10.5's and giving my wife my Air 2 (Wifi & cell).

My wife currently has a 64GB Wifi only Air 2. Any thoughts on the value of her Ipad?

Plenty bright

We bought an iPad Pro
9.7 last fall and I can say it is plenty bright. Our previous iPad was useless in direct sunlight but the pro is plenty readable.

Thinking I can save a few dollars $ by purchasing the pro 9.7

Looks like the NEW 10.5 will have a 10x processor vs the 9x in the 9.7
Looks like it can run a new(er) OS ? Can they both?

They both have the anti reflective coating. I assume they both offer about the same amount of screen glare?

Can someone chime in with detailed specs that they understand?

I will be using this to surf the web, run Garmin App, and not much else.

The wifi only version of any iPad does not have localization capabilities, because it doesn't have a built in GPS chip , if you were to use it as means of navigation , I advise you get the Wifi-Cellular Version ,

ipad pro

Anyone else flying with a iPad pro 9.7 or 10.5 ?

What are your opinions, Pro's and Con's?

My biggest concern is viewing in direct sunlight.

Anyone else flying with a iPad pro 9.7 or 10.5 ?

What are your opinions, Pro's and Con's?

My biggest concern is viewing in direct sunlight.

On Sunday, I flew a trip with my 10.5" iPad pro, which replaced my Air2 last week. Screen totally readable in bright sunlight.

I bought the 10.5" the other day. Very bright, brightest yet and noticeably so. The anti-reflective coating on it is said to be the least-reflective so far. Definitely much better in that regard (and in pretty much every other area) than my old iPad mini that this will replace in the cockpit.

With the Avidyne IFD 440 in the panel, will be using it in the back seat of the -8A running the IFD 100 iPad app. If you haven't heard about that yet, it's pretty cool. I'll also run the standard apps we all use. Currently Garmin Pilot but may switch back to Foreflight again for its tight integration with the AFS/Dynon avionics system (which is freakin' amazing by the way).

I bought the 10.5" the other day. Very bright, brightest yet and noticeably so. The anti-reflective coating on it is said to be the least-reflective so far. Definitely much better in that regard (and in pretty much every other area) than my old iPad mini that this will replace in the cockpit.

May I ask which version of the iPad mini were you using?
iPad Mini 4 was the latest if I recall correctly.

Geekbench Test Results

To compare performance of the 9.7 to the 10.5 iPad Pro, check out the GeekBench Test results. The 10.5 iPad Pro has an increase in performance that justifies the small amount of extra money.

Vlad uses the larger screen iPad pro. I love his setup but chose to go with the iPad 10.5 Pro. This is my 3rd iPad and I have been using ForeFlight for 6-years going on 7. I always get the latest iPad with the most powerful processor and always get the cellular version because of the built in GPS. ONLY the Cellular version of iPad has the GPS. The extra $130 is a good way to save needing another GPS device, forgetting to charge the GPS device, losing the GPS device, and breaking the GPS device.

As the iPad gets older and the iOS is updated, the operation gets SLOW and takes the enjoyment out of using the device.

I am in the camp to always get the latest most powerful processor. Yes it may cost a little bit more but the "Life Cycle Cost" ends up being lower as I can use it over a longer period of time.

As others have pointed out, having the internal GPS with the cellular version can be very handy if your external GPS source craps out (as mine did once). Also, if gives you a way to check the weather or send email when you're not connected to Wi-Fi. You'll have to decide whether the monthly fees are worth it.

As others have pointed out, having the internal GPS with the cellular version can be very handy if your external GPS source craps out (as mine did once). Also, if gives you a way to check the weather or send email when you're not connected to Wi-Fi. You'll have to decide whether the monthly fees are worth it.

NO Monthly FEE necessary.

I did NOT activate my iPad Cellular service.

T-Mobile has or had a plan that was FREE 200 MB per month and Pay in advance for a 1-day, 1-week, or 1-month pass with data limits. Used the Pay as you go Pass ONCE in four-years when I spent the night at a location that did not have WiFi. I used the iPad as a Hot Spot for my notebook.

NO Monthly FEE necessary.

I did NOT activate my iPad Cellular service.

T-Mobile has or had a plan that was FREE 200 MB per month and Pay in advance for a 1-day, 1-week, or 1-month pass with data limits. Used the Pay as you go Pass ONCE in four-years when I spent the night at a location that did not have WiFi. I used the iPad as a Hot Spot for my notebook.
Actually, if you are flying with any of the Bluetooth capable ADS-B units the GPS signal from those units will be picked up by the IPad. So, while flying you should not have to worry about a GPS signal. As for when you are not flying, instead of using the IPad as a hot spot I use my cellphone as a hot spot for the WIFI only IPad. The IPhone has a built in GPS so why not use it. There is no inconvenience using the WIFI IPad in this manner. Plus the savings is worth it.

Actually, if you are flying with any of the Bluetooth capable ADS-B units the GPS signal from those units will be picked up by the IPad. So, while flying you should not have to worry about a GPS signal. As for when you are not flying, instead of using the IPad as a hot spot I use my cellphone as a hot spot for the WIFI only IPad. The IPhone has a built in GPS so why not use it. There is no inconvenience using the WIFI IPad in this manner. Plus the savings is worth it.

Disagree.

Too many different pieces need to work to have what a "Stand Alone" system will do on its own.

I find the $130 cellular option for the iPad and not activating the cellular the cheapest, simplest, most reliable way to have Geo Referenced charts in an aircraft.

The antenna for my garmin 430 failed a couple of years ago, and the failure mode is a bad one. Apparently it somehow scrambles the signals for other gps systems in the aircraft. My old reliable garmin 496 quit working at the same time. Fortunately it was a clear day close to home.
The gps in my iPad kept on working.

My new 9.7 iPad is a big improvement over the three year old mini, much better in the sun for readability.
30 years ago I used to fly all over the place with a map and no navaidds. Now I seem to "need" three independent gps units.

My 2¢ ...

• Brighter is better. I've not seen the new iPad Pro 10.5 in person and based on comments here, I'm planning to do a side by side comparison at some point.
  • Screen protector. Even if the iPad Pro 10.5 has an anti-glare coating, I would put an anti reflective screen protector on it. The $5-$7 investment is more than worth the insurance against scratching the screen and scratches dramatically drop resale value.
  • Internal GPS (with the cellular chip). It's an expensive premium but it definitely adds reliability, flexibility, and safety for my aviation usage.
  • Cellular data service. There are a couple "freemium" options to get 100mb-200mb of free data service each month. Even if you never use it, having that little bit of data is good insurance and zero cost.
  • iPad Pro 9.7 will save you money. I've reached that point in life where I won't buy a new car. I can get a low mileage car/truck that's a couple years old and save real money. I'm the same way with my iPad. I looked at the options and the best bang for my buck was a refurb iPad Air 2 64bg with GPS/cellular. It's not as nice as the 10.5 iPad Pro but it was $440 cheaper.

Last edited:
Looks like I'm going with the iPad pro 9.7 128GB.
It will be replacing my iPad 3rd gen with 64GB.

Looks like accessories are cheap and readily available for the 9.7
I'm understanding the 10.5 is a unique size and right this moment since it is new -accessories that fit it are scarce?

I saved $200 by buying the Pro 9.7 with 128GB -vs- a Pro 10.5 with 64GB

I got a RAM mount for $19 and the folder/case I wanted for $14.

BTW I own a Garmin GDL39-3D which is why I bought Wifi only.
I liked the fact that this new pro 9.7 is smaller than my older 9.7
That unit was slightly blocking some of my instruments.
The Ram mount for this new Pro 9.7 is smaller than my older Ram mount (both same model)

Sold my old iPad with case, Ram mount and extra accessories to a friend for $180.

I will report back with my observations on using in a brightly lit cockpit.

Last edited:
Finally tested my Ipad Pro 9.7; Comparing it to my old 3rd Gen Ipad 9.7, it has much less screen glare.
Seems to be completely readable so far in the cockpit. My old 3rd Gen would get washed out pretty badly during daylight hours. Also noted the speed to power on/off the unit, and load/run Apps has significantly increased. Much faster processor. I'm happy.

Back