What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

PANEL DOCKS?? Will a G3X work in 696 Dock"

taverroi

Well Known Member
Would anybody here have knowledge of being able to put a G3X in an airgizmo panel dock used for a 696....They seem to be the same unit size and i dont know the real differences. Airgizmo sells docks for the "696" and Im wondering if it will hold a G3X?

Any help or wisdom on the subject would be apprieiated.

Tango

If you are talking about the GDU370 or GDU375, I don't think so.

They have there own mounting system dirctly to the panel.

4 screws into and backing plate.

They are similar in size, but not identical. The G3X units aren't set up for portable or removable mount use. I was looking to see if I could do the opposite -- panel mount a 696 without the dock. No joy.

They are similar in size, but not identical. The G3X units aren't set up for portable or removable mount use. I was looking to see if I could do the opposite -- panel mount a 696 without the dock. No joy.

You absolutely can panel mount a 696 without a dock. Send me your email address and I'll send pic's. It is pretty easy.

Oh, I'm sure -- I was looking to see if I could use GDU370 mounting hardware for the 696. They look the same, I figured maybe there were common case parts. Not so.

+1 on mounting without a docking station! I have mine mounted in the panel without a docking station of any kind. I also need to search for pics. There are four screw holes in the back of the 696 that can receive 6-32 screws. A cutout in the panel for the correct size, a simple bracket with standoffs cut to the correct size, 4 6-32 screws and its a done deal. I have not seen the back of a GDU 370 or 375 but if they have screw inserts the same thing could be done with them.

Thanks for the inputs here. NO JOY then!..Rats!

I will look to modify the panel mounting of my 3rd G3X. I would like for it to tilt towards me at least 15 degree's.

Unless, of course, anybody here could tell me why I would NOT want to do that.

Thanks again everybody.

Tango

I will look to modify the panel mounting of my 3rd G3X. I would like for it to tilt towards me at least 15 degree's.

Thanks again everybody.

Tango
You should be able to tilt the instrument without a store bought dock. I cannot get to any pics right now but if you wish to talk with me via PM we could discuss your options.

I just looked to see if the angled mounting adapter for the AirGizmos dock might work for the GDU 37x. It doesn't look like that would work either. The 696 mount uses screws in the side, the GDU mounts with four screws from the front.

That said, it shouldn't be an insurmountable task to make a wedge mount for it.

Thanks again everybody.

Tango

Look at post #203 in Brian's panel upgrade. I think this thread is a few panels ago for Brantel, but he did do what you want to do and think it worked well.

http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=93138&page=21

Back