What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Ya I did it!

frankh

Well Known Member
I left my master on overnight and completly flattened the Odyssey 680.

Jump started the engine and ran it for 15 minutes or so, shut down and the battery was still dead.

The charging volts of my Plane power alt are a little low at about 13.8V, but I'm wondering if doing the deep discharge has killed the battery?

Has anyone done this and had the Oyssey come back to life OK, or is it toast?

Thanks

Frank..7a with charger plugged in!

Gee Frank, I don't know that I'd ever admit to anything like that...;)

But....ahhh...."a friend" has done a complete discharge of his Odyssey 680 at LEAST 3 times, and a good recharge (not just with the alternator) brought it back to where it is fine, alive, and kicking....

Hope I .... I mean "my friend"....never makes that mistake again....;)

Hmmm!!!

My best friends third cousins best friend heard from a friend that the 680 will come back to life. I, (I mean 'he') went out and flew for a little while and the battery came back to life. I think that was about 1.5 years ago and 200 hours.

Doesn't that just irk ya?!!!

The Odyssey batteries needs a higher voltage to charge properly, especially when totaly flat. Charge it at between 14.3 and 15 volts and a 680 ought to take about two hours with a 10 amp charger.

Cool thanks guys!

I only have a trickle charger and I don't know what it cgarges at to be honest. Its the "Junior" charger that Bob Knuckolls recommends so I'm hoping a good overnight tickle...I mean trickle..:)..will have her back to life.

The engineer in me is now thinking of how to design a fool proof buzzer thingy interlocked with a canopy switch.

Frank 7a

Low Tech

frankh said:
The engineer in me is now thinking of how to design a fool proof buzzer thingy interlocked with a canopy switch.

Frank 7a

The Airline pilot in me says "use a checklist" ;)

John Clark ATP CFI
RV8 N18U "Sunshine"
KSBA

I am not very techy but I left my RV6 with a FBO and they left the master on. I jumped the starter and left thinking everything was fine until I hit the landing lights arriving home and everything went dark.
We evidently jumped the starter/alternator side of the relay instead of the battery side and the alternator was keeping that side going til i overloaded the alternator with landing lights. The battery was still dead since it had no juice to keep the relay connecting it connected, hence no connection to the alternator. If this makes sense to you maybe that is what you did also.

steve

I've used my 680 over a 3 year building process, bench testing...
It's discharged it completed several times and it had always come back to life. Prior to my first flight, I opted to get a new one. I still use the old one for various bench activities.

Ironflight said:
Gee Frank, I don't know that I'd ever admit to anything like that...;)

But....ahhh...."a friend" has done a complete discharge of his Odyssey 680 at LEAST 3 times, and a good recharge (not just with the alternator) brought it back to where it is fine, alive, and kicking....

Hope I .... I mean "my friend"....never makes that mistake again....;)

"My friend" left the master on after moving the plane to a more suitable parking place on a visit to Marco Island. My friend always leaves the beacon light on now and now "he" knows he has left the master on. Thank God "my friend" had a charging port on his Tiger and that there was an old timer who knew how to hand start a plane. Personally, "My friend" thought he was crazy for hand starting a plane.

Need power to make power

Quite often the altenator will not put out at all if the battery has gone completely flat. It needs power to make it realize it has something to charge. I would expect your battery will come back to life after the overnight trickle charge.

Lets go find out!

Mission to "show a few moves" (namely aerobatic ones) to ones CFI take 2 is about to launch!

Frank

Back