- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Main > RV General Discussion/News
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-25-2018, 05:53 PM

Default UPDATE: P-mag charges for upgrade from V37 to V41

UPDATE: E/P-MAG REVISED CHARGE TO SHIPPING ONLY. GUESS IF ONLY SOFTWARE UPDATE THERE IS NOT A CHARGE. I SUPPOSE IF ANY OTHER WORK THERE IS A SMALL FEE INVOLVED.

Guess I was wrong about free upgrade as I have seen on this site they did it for free. Also I shipped units to them for around $16.00 witch included signature thru post office but it takes $38.00 (Which may include ins.)to package and ship back. So my bill is $108.00. Just thought you should know! George in SoCal.
Always an upgrade in progress.
Donated to keep forum alive.

Last edited by RVTOY : 01-26-2018 at 11:41 AM. Reason: E-Mag reissued revised billing to shipping charge
Old 01-25-2018, 07:06 PM

I get it, a surprise charge is never a good thing but the price seems very reasonable.

The other thing is that the failure mode for pre-version 40 isn't very good. So $108 seems like cheap insurance.

The Emag website lists their current prices here.
Build the plane you want, not the plane others want you to build!
SC86 - Easley, SC
www.repucci.com/bill/baf.html
Old 01-26-2018, 01:34 AM

George, Thank you for your post. It is sad that you had to pay $108.00 to correct their engineering errors.

I will look elsewhere for my next ignition purchase.
VAF #897
2017 =VAF= Dues PAID
Old 01-26-2018, 06:04 AM

Let me get this right. You were charged $54 plus shipping to update an older unit? When was that unit purchased? How long ago were they still shipping V37? Thatís a reason to not buy a Pmag?
RV Hotel (hangar, room, car) at X35 in north FL

Commercial ASEL/S A&P/IA EAA Technical Counselor

Dynamic Prop Balancing, Prebuy Inspections, Condition Inspections, Repairs and Mods, Injector Tuning, Airframe, Engine, Panel Upgrades, Ferrying, etc.
Old 01-26-2018, 06:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVTOY View Post
Guess I was wrong about free upgrade as I have seen on this site they did it for free. Also I shipped units to them for around $16.00 witch included signature thru post office but it takes $38.00 (Which may include ins.)to package and ship back. So my bill is $108.00. Just thought you should know! George in SoCal.
Their web site makes it very clear that a v41 update only service request is not free. Their web site, and not here or any other, is probably the place you should have looked. It doesn't seem fair to ding them for your lack of research on the matter.

I've got close to 1000 hours on both my PMags with nary an issue. I'm pulling them off next month during the condition inspection to be sent back to EMagAir for the inspection service they offer, and I'm very glad to pay their asking price for the service. Both the company and their products are pretty solid.
Old 01-26-2018, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiefPilot View Post
SNIP
I've got close to 1000 hours on both my PMags with nary an issue. I'm pulling them off next month during the condition inspection to be sent back to EMagAir for the inspection service they offer, and I'm very glad to pay their asking price for the service. Both the company and their products are pretty solid.
+1

Carl
Old 01-26-2018, 06:53 AM

A similar service for a standard mag is about 3 times that amount for just one. I'd also be happy with the fee paid for a P-Mag update. No software is perfect.
Catto 3 blade NLE, FlightLines Interior, James cowl, plenum & intake, Anti-Splat -14 seat mod and nose gear support
All lines by TSFlightLines
NSDQ

"The object of the game, gentlemen, is not to cheat death: the object is not to let him play."
Patrick Poteen, Sgt. U.S. Army
Old 01-26-2018, 07:06 AM

Just sent mine in this week. Paid UPS $38 dollars for shipping. I didn't ask the price to IRAN and update firmware but assumed there was a charge plus return shipping.
I have had many techy items that received a firmware upgrades during my ownership. Never considered them to have engineering errors.
My home thermostat has had five upgrades in the past four months.
Catto three blade prop
http://www.mykitlog.com/MarkW
Old 01-26-2018, 07:17 AM

Default Business

I paid for the $135 checkup for each of my pmags this summer, and was quite happy to pay. People cost money, and if they are making money on these checkups, or at least covering their costs, then they will be able to stay in business. We all know how difficult business is in general, and aviation in particular, so I have no problem supporting my suppliers.

Since we're talking about software, typical software support costs are over 10% per year, so this is in line with those costs. I feel like I got the HW checkup for free.

Clearly if they were charging $500 for this, I might be singing a different tune.
Old 01-26-2018, 09:09 AM

Still working to track down an ignition issue with my system.

Trent has been very helpful. Our current thinking is a bad coil. Trent shipped it to me and said to either ship it back if it doesnít work, or pay for it if it does.

Just a data point, but Iíve been very please with the support from them.

-Dan