What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

EAA Founder's Innovation Prize

Andrew Anunson

Well Known Member
Has anyone else entered this safety contest? I am excited to see who the finalists are! Dick VanGrunsven is one of the judges...
Andrew

https://www.eaa.org/en/eaa/eaa-news-and-aviation-news/eaa_founders_innovation_prize

EAA FOUNDER’S INNOVATION PRIZE
Introducing the Founder’s Innovation Prize presented by Airbus Group! The goal of the prize is to keep the spirit of innovation alive in the EAA community and leverage its creativity toward solving specific challenges facing the general aviation community. The top finishers will receive a cash grant toward developing their product and prominent exposure at AirVenture.

The 2016 Challenge

The 2016 EAA Founder’s Innovation Prize is a contest to solve the problem of fatal loss of control accidents in amateur-built aircraft through innovation. The contest is intentionally open-ended, with the only stated goal to reduce fatalities from this type of accident in amateur-built aircraft dramatically over the next decade - 25% in the next five years, 50% in the next ten.

Individuals and teams of EAA members (membership is required) can sign up for the contest using the entry form below. Full contest rules are also attached. Initial applications will be accepted through June 1st, 2016 and final submission of all materials for consideration are due July 1st.

EAA Founders Innovation

VAC didn't mention that Yes, we did apply for this innovation prize. We are a team of 4 RV builders/pilots involved in making this happen and as you might guess Vac is our inspiration, leader, and test pilot. Two of us have F4 backgrounds which helps a good bit also. In the F4 this tone profile became a integral part of flying the plane. Our goal is to offer a similar capability to the EAA and GA world. AOA is also a special safety item of interest with the FAA this past year. Will be interesting to see how this moves along, but what we have created will at least be available for all Dynon and MGL iEFIS users.

In gliders/sailplanes, the audio variometer, the sensitive vertical speed indicator, allows one to focus outside. Audio AoA is similar, it seems to beat even a perfectly eyesighted AoA indicator.

You don't have to look at it, it does not require aerodynamic fixes to an airframe like cuffs, VGs, limited nose up elevator travel, etc.

I like it and am glad to hear it was submitted.

VAC didn't mention that Yes, we did apply for this innovation prize. We are a team of 4 RV builders/pilots involved in making this happen and as you might guess Vac is our inspiration, leader, and test pilot. Two of us have F4 backgrounds which helps a good bit also. In the F4 this tone profile became a integral part of flying the plane. Our goal is to offer a similar capability to the EAA and GA world. AOA is also a special safety item of interest with the FAA this past year. Will be interesting to see how this moves along, but what we have created will at least be available for all Dynon and MGL iEFIS users.

Thank you. Best wishes

Have not heard a beep. I entered and am anxious to learn what happens. I give my self a very small chance but like the lottery, I can't win if I don't enter :).
This will be interesting

PS As of June 1st (the abstract and application deadline date), 141 entries were received. Have not heard how many actually turned in a project by the July 1st deadline.
http://www.eaa.org/en/airventure/ea...ovation-prize-brings-in-more-than-140-entries

Last edited:
We entered the EICommander. Although not an aircraft control system, our thinking was that if you are given fair warning there is a pending ignition issue, then you won't have to make an engine out approach. Or at the very least, an approach with a high level of anxiety due to an engine that is failing.

Best of luck to all the entrants. I look forward to reviewing the abstracts and learning more about aviation and aircraft control!

Back