What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Pitot tube fitting delamination

Vlad

Well Known Member
Interesting phenomenon was discovered recently on stock stainless pitot tube. The anodized aluminum insert is delaminating. Wondering what's the cause? Vibration, galvanic corrosion or a defective part? Any advice on preventive maintenance?

If any builders have pitot tube not mounted could you please check if the fitting makes the bend? Or should I order new tube. The part was and still is working flawlessly for 2,500 hours. Was tightened once in Phase 1.

That looks like corrosion to me. I think if it is, it's intergranular corrosion of a form called exfoliation.

It looks like it's limited to the sleeve, but you'll need to make a new pitot tube just to get a new sleeve on there.

Dave

Van's sells a nice stainless replacement that comes with a pretty red cover. Under 20 bucks if I remember. I just replaced my fabricated alum. with stainless. Much nicer.

Intergranular. If it's on the front side likely caused by salt particles collected when flying over salty water.

Don Broussard

RV 9 Rebuild in Progress

Probably just the photo but the nut looks bulged on the bottom to me. Have you taken it apart yet to see if there is more going on inside the nut?

Jim

I'd be happy to make you an AL one and send it if you'd like.

Bob thanks. I'll get a stainless one now I now how long it lasts. :)

Intergranular. If it's on the front side likely caused by salt particles collected when flying over salty water.

Don Broussard

RV 9 Rebuild in Progress

Very might be Don. I have a fair share of flying low in salty mist. :)

Probably just the photo but the nut looks bulged on the bottom to me. Have you taken it apart yet to see if there is more going on inside the nut?

Jim

The nut is good Jim it's an optical illusion. No I didn't take it apart. I fly nearly every day and don't want to miss some fun because of stupid nut :D

I have AL tubing and flaring tool up in SWF.....

Thanks James. I'll go stainless.

Back