What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Pitch Servo Kit, which is better?

wfinnell

Well Known Member
Hi,

I am getting ready to put the aft top skin on my fuselage and I want to install the auto-pilot pitch servo mounting kit, but I don't know if I am going to go with Dynon or Garmin yet.

Will either kit work with both servos?

Assuming they are interchangeable, for anyone who has experience with both, which kit is easier to install. Is either kit better in some other way?

Thank you in advance,

Check the Dynon forum

I would ask the question on the Dynon form. I've asked them about the Navaid servos and it was a NO for the D100. Not sure about the garmin and or Skyview answer but they're pretty good about responding.

And I don't think they are just pushing their product, they provided a technical reason for the no on the navaid servos.

Your call.

We looked at both and found that the servos would fit the same bolt pattern for both Dynon and Garmin servos to the brackets. We just made the call to put in a new Garmin system to bring every thing in aircraft up to date for 2020, ADS-B and beyond. We went with the Garmin servo install kits from Spruce a few months before we started the systems installation. If you get the kits first and put them in then you can come back anytime before or after you get up and flying and just bolt the servos to the mount brackets and wire them in. You can go to the G3X installation manual on their web site and look up all the data and instruction on the kits. You will be doing yourself a favor buy puting the bracket kit in as you go together. It really is what you want and like in your airplane. Hope this helps.
Yours as always. R.E.A. III #80888

Last edited:
Brackets or servos?

The Dynon servos will fit in other mounting brackets. I think Tru Trac is a bolt up but there may be others. That said, the Dynon system will only actually drive Dynon servos. The servos have internal processors to give feedback to the system for trim sensing and other functions which relate largely to safety of flight and use assembly language specific to them on the system network.

You may find that the bolt pattern is the same across most of the vendors' servos; however, the Garmin server has a larger bushing around the shaft and will hit some other vendors' brackets.

When I switched my servos to Garmin, I had to grind/sand a slight curved recess into my old brackets to accommodate the Garmin servo.

The differences are described in the G3X install manual. (around section 9.5.2.10 "GSA 28 Installation Into a Non-Garmin Bracket")

Last edited:
Thanks for the help guys!

I appreciate the advice.

I think I understand what I want to do now. I am going to go with the Garmin bracket.

Thanks again,

You may find that the bolt pattern is the same across most of the vendors' servos; however, the Garmin server has a larger bushing around the shaft and will hit some other vendors' brackets.

When I switched my servos to Garmin, I had to grind/sand a slight curved recess into my old brackets to accommodate the Garmin servo.

The differences are described in the G3X install manual. (around section 9.5.2.10 "GSA 28 Installation Into a Non-Garmin Bracket")

This was my experience.

Back