What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tall but also wide

Hello All, I'm new here and just contemplating if the RV7 is right for me or should I be looking at an RV8. I have found a couple of threads indicating a person of my height 6'2" when properly set up would be fine, but my question is I'm built like a linebacker with broad shoulders and a big frame 260 pounds. Is the width of the cabin with an adult passenger adequate?

Last edited:
The 7 and the 9 have the same fuselage. I have a 9A, am 6'1" 250 lbs and "built like a linebacker" as you say. I fit nicely in my 9A. I have flown with several friends who are similarly built. We fit snugly, no doubt, but it is not uncomfortable at all. When flying by myself I have all the room in the world and when my wife flies with me we are very comfortable. You will not have issues.

Staggering the seatbacks essential

...you'll really want to try out the Anti-Splat 'almost a 14' mod....allows you to have your shoulders behind your passengers, or vice versa, if you choose.
The headroom wouldn't hurt either, at 5' 11" I touch the canopy in my -9a. ( one basic cushion only)

The headroom wouldn't hurt either, at 5' 11" I touch the canopy in my -9a. ( one basic cushion only)
Interesting, at 6'1" I have only bumped my head one time during an extremely turbulent trip. On normal flights I have no issues with headroom. Granted, I am sure my Halo headsets that do not have anything over the top of my head contribute to the clearance above my head.

Last edited:
I'd go for the -8... or loose some weight ;)

I am 6-5, 175... headroom is pretty easy to manage during the build and using position adjustment with the setback and minding the seat and back cushion height. For the most part the width is fine without a passenger but gets very cozy as the size of the passenger increases. I have a buddy about your size and we both fit fine but it would not be the sort of thing that I would look forward to for longer flights.

One other small issue is the offset of the rudder pedals from the seat to stick... the right pedal (an pilot side, left on co-pilot) is not centered on the stick... it is left about 4" from a natural placement (for clearance from the center heater box)... you can cheat the foot placement easily by placing your foot on the outside vertical tube... if you place your right foot on the pedal normally your inside thigh (especially if it is a bigger thigh...) will tend to push the stick to the left (opposite for a big thigh passenger).

The -7 is great for access to the baggage area in flight and the side by side traveling partner experience but there is much more personal space room with the -8.

Might be motivation to loose a few pounds though ;)

Thanks Steven, Thanks for your insight about the rudder pedals. That' something I hadn't thought of. As for the weight, I'm working on that too. Thanks Mark

Back