What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Sikaflex shelf life?

acam37

Well Known Member
I'm just about ready to bond my canopy to the frame. I will have to do it in two stages, so if I break open the first tube and only use part of it how long do I have before the unused contents begin to cure?
In the past I've bought RTV silicone and used a small amount, put the cap back on, only to find the tube rock hard the next time I needed it.

Assuming a fresh(ish) batch of SikaFlex. Crack open the tube, use what you will, then stuff a screw/nail or what ever to seal the end.
Months from now, it will be as good as new?and build on. This is a terrific product.

A 15.00 tube of Silka is nothing in the skeme of things, I would not skimp here.

It's not the cost I'm worried about, Its just that I don't want to have to open a tube and waste half of it. When I say glue it in stages what I mean is you have to glue the canopy, then when that cures go back and remove the spacers and fill the gaps, and then go back and make your final cosmetic fillet. All this will be done in the time frame of a couple of days. I was just wondering if an opened tube will last at least that long if I make sure the tip is capped?

It's not the cost I'm worried about, Its just that I don't want to have to open a tube and waste half of it. When I say glue it in stages what I mean is you have to glue the canopy, then when that cures go back and remove the spacers and fill the gaps, and then go back and make your final cosmetic fillet. All this will be done in the time frame of a couple of days. I was just wondering if an opened tube will last at least that long if I make sure the tip is capped?

If you take the screw on tip off, and take a finger off a nitrel glove, and rubberband it on with no air, it should stay for a while as long as there is no air exposed to the material. not an expert on the mater, just an idea:D

SikaFlex tube

Arlie, you won't be using the product in the tip of your Sika tube if it's firm.
That's why we insert a plug. You will be able to use the Sika in the tube if it is gunable.
Good luck

Back