What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Skytec failure, Guarantee or Not????

AirbusPilot

Well Known Member
Today with my 8 just finishing the required phase I 40 hours, I tried to start the engine and the prop didn't turn and heard a weird noise, I removed the cowling and please check the picture to see what I have found. I am using two slick and always start my engine with the left mag so I thing this is not a kick back is a material failure.

I live in Chile, shipping to USA is going to be expensive, do you think Skytec is going to repair under warranty or I should try to buy a new case/mount and do the repair myself here in Chile.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Last edited:
Having dealt with SkyTec, I'm sure they will honor the warranty.
I sent my starter back following my initial install and had a kickback event which may have been due to my setup. They wanted to know all conditions which led to the event. They repaired at no cost.
Great people to deal with.

Do yourself a favor, and upgrade to the NL starter. They perform several orders of magnitude better and are much more robust.

Same thing happend to me. Skytec replaced the casting with a beefier version. No charge. I paid for shipping one way.

If this is normal

I don't want to fly behind a Skytec, I want to be able to fly away from home base and trust my starter than my engine will start again and I could be able to return home. I am just checking B&C maybe the way to go.

I usually fly and old cessna with an Lycoming O-360 always start with both magnetos, never a starter failure like this:mad:

The flyweight starter is known to break sometimes...often with the injected engines...

I have not heard any complaints on this model:

NL.gif

Most key switches ground out the non impulse coupled mag during start...

That is if one mag is non-impulse coupled of course. If you have dual impulse couplers you should start on both mags. I can't even tell you the number of times I've seen people with dual impulse-coupled mags with a key switch jumpered to start on one mag.

Most key switches ground out the non impulse coupled mag during start...

I rented that Cessna 172 in a Club, I told them that we should start the engine with just the left magneto, the only one with impulse coupling in that Cessna. They said they have been stating the engine with both magnetos forever and never have a kickback:eek:

That plane has a ignition switch but you engage the starter with a push button, so I am sure both magnetos are on when the engine start. They don't remember a broke stater case/mount ever, there has been electrical failure or starter gear but never the case, airframe time is about 7000.

Perhaps you guys are installing the "wrong" Skytec starter.

I don't want to fly behind a Skytec, I want to be able to fly away from home base and trust my starter than my engine will start again and I could be able to return home. I am just checking B&C maybe the way to go.

I installed a Skytec, hi-torque starter in February of '95 and it hasn't missed a beat!

I might also mention that I have a compression ratio of 9.5:1.

Last edited:
I installed a Skytec, hi-torque starter in February of '95 and it hasn't missed a beat!

Hi Mel,

I am not installing the wrong stater, is lycoming that maybe installing the wrong one, I bought my original lycoming IO-360-M1 trough Van's with the starter installed, I never toght is gong to last 40 hours or 50 starts:mad:

What starter is on that old Cessna? How much does it weigh?

I don't know what model/brand is the one from the old Cessna 172 and also I am sure is a lot heavier than my new/broke Skytec one.

Anyway I think buy and bring with you another skytec to be sure you will be able to return back to home base when you are cross country is more heavy/expensive than use the old/thrusty starters:confused:

Get the NL model...You will have a hard time breaking that one...it is like $75 more but much different and beefier design..

Get the NL (aka High Torque)!

Maybe Sky-Tec would allow you to trade your broken starter towards the upgrade to the NL which is the High Torque Mel mentioned.

I have this model on my IO-360 and it works great. I also have the small battery on the firewall and this thing turns the engine fast. The NL is also a wound motor starter vs the permanent magnet design of the fly weight starter which is a big deal electrically. I have had no problems in 245 hours over 2 years and don't remember anyone here having a problem with the NL.

The NL model does have a shear pin in case of kickback but mine has never sheared with fuel injection, one mag, one Lightspeed. A spare shear pin is glued into the base (see picture posted above) of the starter just in case you shear one away from your home airport.

Andy

IIRC, there was an issue a while back where the locating pin/s in the starter were not seating correctly in the crankcase, and when the starter was bolted down, the ears would crack, and eventually break off.

You might want to check into this, may be the cause of your problem.

The exact same thing happened to me about a month ago while I was away from home. I had about 180 hours on the starter before it broke from exact same place. Called Sky-tech and they sent me a new replacement with no charge (I had to pay the shipping).
They also said that now they are using a better casing. They were very friendly and easy to work with in getting the replacement starter.

I usually fly and old cessna with an Lycoming O-360 always start with both magnetos, never a starter failure like this:mad:

I have had all three on my RV-6. A LS that failed, then a B&C that failed, and now a NL that works flawlessly. I've got a pile of NL's in my hangar that I won't give away to anyone because I wouldn't let a friend fly with one. :) The B&C was a used one I got via a bit of horse trading, so it really isn't a fair comparison...it had quite a bit of brush wear before it landed on my bench. The innards of the B&C are standard Hitachi starter parts which any automotive starter shop can work on. The NL has proprietary parts but is simpler internally than the B&C, and has a taller gear ratio which makes it perform a bit better. I ended up rebuilding the B&C and have it earmarked for a future project. I think if you are not in the USA the B&C would be a better way to go since parts are available from automotive sources (brushes, brush holders, bearings, etc.), but I do believe the NL is a better starter.

I've had an NL on my Cherokee's O-320 for a couple years now. It's worked flawlessly. I always start on both mags too (pushbutton starter switch), never had a kickback in the two years with the NL nor the prior 7 years before that when I still had the original Prestolite boat anchor starter.

I have personally witnessed an RV-6 that broke an LS starter case, but it had electronic ignition problems and severe kickback/backfiring the day it busted its starter.

NB there is a rumoured / possible issue with the wiring for the LS starter that "might" contribute to failure. Look at their website.

Summary - do you have just 1 (large) wire to the starter that acts as both power and solenoid? Or 1 power wire and 1 light wire from a separate terminal on the Vans starter relay? The light wire controls the LS solenoid i.e. requires the removal of the starter "link".

We have an LS starter, the additional wire above, are now on 299 hours and 591 flights, and still working fine (but who knows for how much longer?)

Andy

With your engine (IO-360-M1B) the 149-12LS might be the only choice you have, unless you are going to reshape the snorkel to make room for it. I looked at other brands & models and since Sky-tec was replacing it at no charge, it did not make sense to change it.

Make sure your timing/wiring is right and I think you will be OK with the sky-tec.

Back when the Skytecs were brand new, I put one on the newly-overhauled O-320 in my Grumman Yankee, and it was still there 1400 hours and ten years later when I sold the airplane. Original SkyTec in the Valkyrie - 4.5 years, 1129 hours - and the same story. I just thought I'd ad this to the thread in case folks get to thinking that these starters are no good. It is probably the default starter for most folks these days, and they are pretty reliable. Not discounting those who have had problems - but it is the nature of internet posts that only those with negative experiences post, so you can get a distorted overall picture.

Definitely go direct to SkyTec - great guys, very knowledgable, and they'll give you straight advice. Remember - if the starter isn't appropriate for your engine, THEY were probably not the ones who chose it - the engine builder did that!

My experience,

Paul

News from Sky-Tec

Ok, they are going to repair my starter for free under warranty, they also said they are going to replace the case/mount with a new design/material that is stronger so this one should not fail.
I am very happy with customer service so fare, but they didn't say the failure was my fault in anyway and also they change the design/material of case/mount so probably this is a well known problem with one of their product.

Very bad that the starter fail but very good customers service, I am happy:D

I rented that Cessna 172 in a Club, I told them that we should start the engine with just the left magneto, the only one with impulse coupling in that Cessna. They said they have been stating the engine with both magnetos forever and never have a kickback:eek:

That plane has a ignition switch but you engage the starter with a push button, so I am sure both magnetos are on when the engine start. They don't remember a broke stater case/mount ever, there has been electrical failure or starter gear but never the case, airframe time is about 7000.

That push button could be wired to ground the right mag on start up. I know the C-140 I fly is. Don

I've run both the NL (currently on the C177) and flyweight without a problem. I also know that the HT model spins the heck out of a TIO-541, but I haven't installed any personally.

Skytec is really the only option for me, much more reliable than the old bendix starter they replace, that is why Lycoming went that route.

Hey Fernando, Just wanted to let you know your starter is being shipped out today. I personally boxed it up and it is being sent back to you same day. We received it this morning.

I am fixing to start building a RV7 myself. Several of the guys here at Sky-Tec fly Rv's and I have got the itch pretty bad.

Let us know if you have any other problems. Your Starter was covered under the warranty. Your starter had an old housing on it that was known to break under certain stress loads. We have since gone to a different and improved casting on those models.

Happy Flying Fernando...

Garrett Easley
KGDJ - Granbury, Tx

OK I don't get it. What should I be learning in this picture about whats broken??????. Looks ok to me since I have never seen one. Building a 9A QB IO LYC 320 I ordered regular mags in my IO320 like in our club's Cessna 172.. Ron

Not sure whats broken????

Whats broken about this Skytec picture. Iam new to this and building a 9A QB IO320 with a Skytec starter. I have two mags the same as in our club cessna 172. Nothing special. I'am open brain for leaning if you want to teach me. LOTS more brain food is goodthing!! RIGHT!!
Ron:rolleyes

Ron, I missed it several times too. It is the light grey housing that surrounds the gear. Notice the change in color where it broke. It is a large semi-circle area.

"extended warranty repair"

I shipped my LS starter back to SkyTec last week - it arrived at Sky-tec this morning, July 6th at 09.00 local. By 12.00 local I had an email saying it was on is way back to me, repaired under extended warranty. Wow. I am impressed.

My break looked exactly like Fernando's, including the discoloured areas along the fracture line.

Whatever the cause of the problem, the level of service is excellent.

Chris

Hey Fernando, Just wanted to let you know your starter is being shipped out today. I personally boxed it up and it is being sent back to you same day. We received it this morning.

I am fixing to start building a RV7 myself. Several of the guys here at Sky-Tec fly Rv's and I have got the itch pretty bad.

Let us know if you have any other problems. Your Starter was covered under the warranty. Your starter had an old housing on it that was known to break under certain stress loads. We have since gone to a different and improved casting on those models.

Happy Flying Fernando...

Garrett Easley
KGDJ - Granbury, Tx

Hi Garret,

I got the starter and I am flying again. Customer Service from you guys is the best.

Thank you,

Fernando

Sorry to be a member of this group

Unfortunately I have also joined the ranks of this fraternity. I have just started commuting between the Dallas area and Memphis and last weekend I had to hand-prop it to get going to go home. Fortunately it started right up. I thought at first that I had a battery problem, but after getting it home and doing some troubleshooting with the help of a few neighbors we isolated the issue to the starter. After removing the starter and putting power directly to it we were able to confirm our diagnosis as it wouldn't spin at all with 12 volts applied directly. I drove back to Memphis and one of my kindly neighbors is delivering the starter directly to Sky Tec so I can have it taken care of and reinstalled next weekend. I called Sky Tec this morning and they assured me that they could do a one day turnaround. No, I am not happy with the starter failing this early in its life, but these things happen. I am impressed with their commitment to getting me flying again as quickly as possible. These days that kind of service makes you stand out as exceptional!

Update

As others have reported here, I too experienced the excellent customer service at Sky Tec. Thanks to another RV builder/pilot for making it happen too. My starter was delivered to the shop in Granbury today and tonight it is waiting for me to get home to install it. Not only that - there was no charge! I understand failures happen with any mechanical item and a starter is certainly no different. Mine had a bad solenoid. My only concern, was there something I could have done to have prevented the problem to begin with?

I am certainly looking forward to being able to fly back to Memphis on Sunday!

Thank you Sky Tec... and my great neighbors at Eagles Nest too!:D

Rebuilt starter

My Skytec LS starter recently stopped working after about 700 hours in service. It actually gave warning that the end was near, in the form of intermittent operation (for a while I could get it to work about half of the times I pushed the start button).

I sent it to Skytec for overhaul and they sent it back out the same day it arrived. Cost was $165 plus shipping. From what I can tell there is little left from the original starter except the serial number; looks like all new parts.

Overall I'm a very satisfied customer. The LS is a pound lighter than anything else out there and the company support is outstanding.

From Rosie: Ditto, except mine went 3,362 hours ;-) The folks at Skytec are A-1!

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll also chime in that SkyTec has great customer support, based on my experience. When I was installing my starter (during my build), I over-torqued the cable on the brass stud, and it sheared right off (my fault). I shipped the unit to SkyTec and they replaced the stud, no charge, and shipped it back to me at their own expense.
That sort of customer service isn't common enough these days, and it instantly earns my loyalty.

Back