What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Smoke System Switch Placement

scrollF4

Moderator, Asst. Line Boy
Ambassador
I'm installing Marvin's Smoke System Helper setup in my 7A. I'm trying to figure the best place to install the smoke oil pump switch. I was going to use my pinkie switch on the Infinity Grip (push on, push off), but decided against it for human factors reasons.

This leaves me with placing a toggle right between the throttle and prop handle. Before I commit to this, I'd like to hear from you smokers out there: Where did you (or do you wish you had) install(ed) the smoke toggle?

Smoke switch

I use an on-off switch on my Infinity grip, but I've got a guarded master toggle switch for the smoke system on the right side panel to prevent inadvertent activation from the stick switch.

You want the switch so you do not need to move your hands while flying formation.

In my RV-6, the switch is located near my throttle so that I can flip it up for SMOKE ON and down for SMOKE OFF without looking. Switch is easy to check while moving the throttle to maintain formation position.

I have the switch on the throttle handle. Don't want to release either the stick or throttle during formation aerobatics.

I have an "arm" toggle on the panel and use the toggle on the infinity grip. My toggle is spring loaded-off-on. I also have a blue "armed" light on panel and an amber "smoke on" light.

In my -7, the switch is located next to the throttle, like Gary Sobek's, so I can flip it up/down without looking during formation flights.

Dont use a push on push off button

I have the switch on the throttle handle. Don't want to release either the stick or throttle during formation aerobatics.

I have an arm switch that powers a relay operated by a small switch on the top of my stick grip. Small red LED light that is on when smoke is on.

I wish I had the switch on the throttle but I can turn smoke on without moving.off the stick or throttle. You DONT want a button. You will get out of cycle and turn if on for off and off for on.

Alot of airshow guys are installing a gravity switch to cut it off if youvhitcthe dirt

Cm

I installed a guarded master switch and an on-off thumb push button on my throttle. I got both switches on Amazon. PM sent and I?ll text you a photo.

Matt

My solution

OK, Y'all ('cause I'm a Texan),
Thanks for all the help. Here's what I did:

I ran power to a 7 amp panel-mounted breaker ('cause I don't do fuses), then to a guarded toggle (smoke system master switch) on the far right end of the panel.
From there, power goes to a simple "Smoke On" toggle mounted directly between the throttle and the prop lever, right at my fingertip with my hand on the throttle where it belongs.

FROM THE "Smoke On" TOGGLE down side, I split the DC output.
- The 16 gauge wire goes to the oil pump, then grounds locally.
- I also ran a 22 gauge wire to a blue placarded panel light labeled "SMOKE ON", grounded locally.

Reasoning: I don't want an accidental bump of the throttle smoke switch to actually pump oil unless I have also activated the system with the across-panel guarded smoke system master switch. I also NEEDED a light telling me if the entire system (smoke master and 'smoke-on' toggle, which activates the pump) is activated. Why? I can't see smoke, smell smoke, or hear the pump or any change in the exhaust note when smoke is running. A half-gallon a minute at >$10/gallon gets expensive fast (coolness factor non-withstanding).

I'll post photos whenever I can get smugmug to finally work in my favor. :mad:

Bottom line: I love my smoke system. Many thanks to SMOKEY 1, Marvin Holmsley, at SmokeSystemHelpers.com.

PS: I recommend the check valves.

Back